Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Excalibur Purchase Question

JOHNNY DELUXE

HI there All~

I am looking to purchase an Excalibur, I am debating between the 8in. and 10in. coil options, is the larger coil harder to use in water? Also can anyone elaborate on the shaft modifications? Or any other tips or advice as I do a lot of beach hunting

JD

I would say that if you are going to be spending more time in the water then maybe the 8" and more time in the wet sand then the 10". The smaller coil would move through the water better. I have the 10" and spend more time in the wet sand than actually in the water and prefer the better coverage. Of course it's heavier with the 10". I have a straight shaft setup for mine and feel that if you go with the stock shaft setup it's just too heavy. Swings better with the straigh shaft.

That is a straight shaft, the excal is mounted in front of the armcuff on either side of the pole. There are several being made for the Excal, I made one from the new GP-GT straight shaft ...Geo

I like the 8 inch for water hunting but I use my Sovereign with the 10" or 15" when hunting the wet sand. The 8" can be run at a higher sensitivity setting and will not false as much when waves go over the coil.

I am using a very good straight shaft made by a guy in my detecting club. He makes them to order and sells them for $80. Everyone who tries his straight shaft agrees that it is the best they have ever used. Email me if you want his contact information.

John

CD,

If this is going to be your only detector, I would go with the larger coil. I feel the coverage is better and the more targets you get, the more practice you have. It sounds like you may be new to detecting. If this is the case, wet sand is probably a better place for you to start. Once you bet familiar what the detector can do, say in a year, them you might start to think about a backup machine, and this question may answer itself.

I have had my Excalibur 1000 for about a year now and I feel I am just starting to understand what it says to me. Maybe in another 10 I will feel I am getting the most out of it.

Bear

Hey Mike. Do you ever use the detector? Looks brand new. I love the setup. Is that custom shaft you were talking about and if so, where can I get one? I like the way it protects the knobs.

Heck yeah, I use it. Oh...but it WAS brand new when I took the pictures. I got it for Christmas. I'm using it every weekend, Friday and Saturday night/AM hunting. And I wash it thoroughly after each use. Still looks just like that. Well, except for I changed out the knobs.

Hey Mike, What do you have securing the two cables together, where the battery cable and the control housing cable cme together, and wrap around your shaft? Also, it looks like you have the same thing securing the cable at the bottom of your wrapped cable, and do you get much falsing with this new 10" Tornado Coil? Many thanks, hh,

Hey Johnny, I have been using the Excalibur for (5) yrs. almost, and I am primarily a saltwater waterhunter. If you want to hunt in the water, more than two feet deep, you will need some more expensive equipment! Like a long handle STAINLESS STEEL SCOOP. I personally recommend a Long 40" Handle Stainless Steel Scoop with a 6" bucket from Treasure Coast Scoops. They will cost you approx. $140 brand new, but I seen used ones occasionally on the Classified Forums for around $100 + shipping. They are very well made, and will last you a very long time. He runs a add in Western-Eastern Treasures Mag., and also has a website. But water hunting is an animal of a different nature!! Personally, I recommend that you start out on the beach, learn your detector, and that will help eliminate, that costly output for the long handle scoop, and you might come across a bargain in the meantime.

Unless you want to search in trashy areas most of the time, I would recommend the 1000 (10") coil. You'll cover more area. Most conversions we get asked about involve going to an even larger coil: Sun Ray 12.5 or WOT 15 inch. Price is the same on either model. Good hunting, David @ Dixie

would like to know did you make this shaft for your Excalibur or war did you bye it i may try to make one thanks pat thanks pat

just red your post on the straight shafe can you give me the emale adress to contack him thanks pat

hey Pat, i bought this one on ebay and like it a lot. I figured you would take a peek at it and have more than one to look at. HH

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Straight-Shaft-For-Minelab-Excalibur-Metal-Detector_W0QQitemZ5865935090QQcategoryZ94885QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem