Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

EXCALIBUR II and EQUINOX on deep silver and gold

C

calabash digger

Testing the 2 machines ….[video]https://youtu.be/wgVAUh68zMw[/video]

The Excalibur II is a deeper detector , but in pinpoint mode and at full sensitivity.
At least mine was on the beach. The problem is that in the pin point mode you can't tell ferrous from non ferrous. You have to switch back to discrimination mode. When I got my equinox 800 and tested it I sold my excalibur II and my CTX.
I did have a lot more faith in the Excalibur II as far as it being waterproof. Just make sure the gasket is on the plug that hooks to the battery. Mine came without one and the battery flooded.
It really bothers me that so many equinox are flooding.
I would get another equinox though instead of the Excalibur and dunk it hard and long to make sure it was a good one.

They hand a new one in my hands in 6 days... but like I said in the video dont want to be in the field and my detector go poops.. hence the Excal purchase..I am in thick ferrous sites...

What I'm saying is I would get a second Equinox instead of the Excalibur even though the Excalibur is more reliable as far as being waterproof.
One other big problem about the Excalibur is the loud iron buzz that will not reset until you hit another good target. I believe that's in the discrimination mode.
If minelab doesn't come out with a new detector soon I will get second Equinox as a backup.
I really enjoy your videos, thanks for all the information.

Yeah I kinda thought that EXACT same thing today when I tested the Excal...

I am guessing you could of bought a nox 600 for the price you paid for the excal?
But if you plan on deep diving I guess the nox would be a no go.

calabash digger said:
Testing the 2 machines ….[video]https://youtu.be/wgVAUh68zMw[/video]

Hi

Your test is not fair and I will tell you why. Just a few comments to start. I have run the same electronics in a Sovereign for over 20 years. I have also run an 800 in Salt Water for over two years.

Are you hunting salt water? Because everything I say is in regards to salt. If you're in fresh water disregard.

1. EMI, No comparision hands down the Nox is more affected by EMI. I did not even know what EMI was until I bought a NOX.

2. Even though you think it is a simple turn on and go machine. The settings between sensitivity and threshold are so important. [you have lots to learn]

3. Your test on land compared to an what an actual test on salt would be between the two detectors is going to show a difference between night and day

Just for starters 1. The electronics of the Excal exceeds in salt water, the electronics of the Nox falls on it's face in the water. 2. Sound splash- The Excal will run like a funeral home, while the Nox will be like a nasty mother-in-law. 3. The Excal will pin-point 100 times better. 4. That increase in high tone you heard when you swept faster, well you need to learn more about the sovereign wiggle. ANY YES you can almost not sweep a sovereign/excal too fast. In the water esp. moving salt water my concern with the Nox is moving it at all, as it works poorly in water and will not preform anywhere near what you show on land.

In summary, Why did you test in beach 1? There is no way you can be working in salt water at 20 sens like you say in beach 1. I had to de-tune to 15-16 in beach 1. In full water contact, I can barely get away with 20 in beach 2, and on the EMI portion of the beach where I hunt it is even lower. Also if there are many cell phones around me I have to de-tune the Nox as well.

Keep us posted when you get some time on that Excal.

HH Dave

I am in brackish water ...the creeks are tidal here and that is why I ran beach 1... I can run 19 to 20 sens in it and it is quiet as a church mouse. I took my Nox to Holden's beach and tried it in the water quite as a church mouse. I am by no mean's a beach hunter and I am not debating your findings about salt .....You might have a defective unit ???...

Tom Dankowski watched my video and found my findings to be accurate on the Excal being lacking on low to mid conducters. I would say he qualifies as a expert on both units....

My question is this why in the world would a dedicated beach hunter ( GOLD jewelry hunter) want to use a machine that is lacking on gold?? I hear all the crying about bottle caps and such but the Excalibur is missing gold target's that the Nox will scream on. Yes ,I would rather run a sparky machine that will actually hit the targets that I seek.

The Excal will be my backup machine as it is lacking on mid to low conducters and some of the targets I desire fall into that range.

One thing to note in the brackish water I hunt here I get about the same performance as I do in my garden...dug a Rev War plate at 12 inches last hunt. You can see the live dig in the post ...

Nothing surprising there.. it’s no secret that the Excalibur’s struggle with small gold..your results are about what I expected..they also struggle a bit with separation but they are also a pleasure to use as they disc out the small iron very wells while still getting very good depth on objects bigger than a nickel... if you set the recovery speed to 1 on the 800 it mimics the Excalibur’s in so far that it gives that slow long exaggerated signal.. myself,I would use the Excalibur’s 1st then clean up with the nox.. as far as gold the Excalibur’s hits real deep on the average sized gold ring it just doesn’t like small and oddly shaped gold.. 2 great machines that compliment each other very well..

calabash digger said:
I am in brackish water ...the creeks are tidal here and that is why I ran beach 1... I can run 19 to 20 sens in it and it is quiet as a church mouse. I took my Nox to Holden's beach and tried it in the water quite as a church mouse. I am by no mean's a beach hunter and I am not debating your findings about salt .....You might have a defective unit ???...

Tom Dankowski watched my video and found my findings to be accurate on the Excal being lacking on low to mid conducters. I would say he qualifies as a expert on both units....

My question is this why in the world would a dedicated beach hunter ( GOLD jewelry hunter) want to use a machine that is lacking on gold?? I hear all the crying about bottle caps and such but the Excalibur is missing gold target's that the Nox will scream on. Yes ,I would rather run a sparky machine that will actually hit the targets that I seek.

The Excal will be my backup machine as it is lacking on mid to low conducters and some of the targets I desire fall into that range.

One thing to note in the brackish water I hunt here I get about the same performance as I do in my garden...dug a Rev War plate at 12 inches last hunt. You can see the live dig in the post ...

CJC found my writings and findings on the Nox to be accurate! He also qualifies as an expert on both units. I am an expert on the Sovereign. Do you have any idea how much you handicap the Excal running it in AUTO? I can tell you! Put your Nox in beach 2 and turn the sensitivity down to 12.

Get a ring on a string, go to the beach [ a real open ocean saltwater beach with 3-5 foot waves] Get the ring settled in the active wave wash. THEN test the two detectors [like I have]

HH Dave

Have had my Excal II for about 6-7 yrs and Nox 800 about 2 months. They really compliment each other and I plan to use one or the other depending on circumstances. After 7 yrs, just repaired the Excal II battery cable with cracked wires - first repair. The Nox 800 has planned obsolescence (ie battery life) of about 4 yrs.
But my go to detector for "knowing" what is underneath the coil is my CTX 3030; you just can't beat 2-dimensional target analysis. My 4-5 months/yr of Gulf hunting revolves around my CTX. After 2 1/2 yrs, just replaced the screen on the CTX. No detector is perfect and more recently built detectors seem to last the least amount of time. I have an Echo 2 that is 25 yrs old and still going strong! We'll see how long the Nox 800 lasts and can't wait to see how well it handles salt water in my hands...it is getting a heck of a work-out now on dry land (with use of apx low latency, waterproof Bluetooth earbuds).

I have had a Equinox since the first order came available to the states and have logged many hours on it. I would venture to say as much time as some who have written books on it..... To be honest I could care less how the Nox behaves on the beach even though I know of 10 or so beach hunters who are hunting with the Nox with great success.

I use the Equinox for relics and I am very proficient with it in those types of situations. I probably should write a book on how to relic hunt with the Equinox...….