Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Excalibur Headphone Wiring

Excalifor

I just completed the changeover from the stock headphone on the Excalibur to the Peltors but when I fired it up, I had no audio. While I was removing the transducers from the stock headphones I inadvertently cut one of the wires. No problem, I cut out the damaged section and soldered the wires back together. After not getting any audio I rechecked the wires, making sure that I hadn't cross connected the wires. The wires were ok, but still no audio. I then cut the two wires before the splice and still have no audio in the connected transducer. Thoughts,ideas?

Hate to say it but I would start from scratch, again. Maybe making sure you got a good battery and audio from the Pod by checking at the end of the headphone cable with another type of speak/head phones you may have laying around. Once you have determinded that there is a good audio, go from there and check that the transducers are working before soldiering the splice up..white/red +, then black/yellow --..I'm just about 100% sure it is just a small issue that is causing the problem. Also the transducers are very cheap if you need I can send you a place to get them for less then 5 dollars...........

A bad day at the beach is better than a great day at work

HOW TRUE

The Headphone wires are really tiny and have two wires for each apparent wire as one is a shielding wire and the other is the actual wire. If you solder those together you will short out the headphones and not get any sound.

You have to be very careful with the wires as they are very small gage and require a small solder iron and magnification to solder them. Also, the main wire has a shielding that is coated with a red lacquer that needs to be removed before you can solder it together.

Insulating them so they will not short out is really tough and requires again a very steady hand and magnification.

Liquid tape and some very small shrink tubing is mandatory!

I'm thinking I did just that, soldering the wire and the shielding together. Heading down to the hobby store to pick up a couple of tools. I'll let you all know how it went

Got the problem fixed and its working great, thanks everyone.