Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Excalibur 800--Continuous, non-adjustable tone ???

sookie

Hello everyone, During a super week-end at Carolina beach, I had a major let down with my brand-new ( 1 st owner -- first time at the beach w/ it ) excal 800.

I charged it the very first time on Monday 07-21-08. After approx. 12-14 hrs later I turned it on, adjusted it, and bench tested it --- all systems go for launch.

On wed 07-23-08, when I turned it on, all I got was a steady, unchanging tone. No matter what adjustment I tried , ( auto, threshold level, volume, sensitivity, on/off) nothing

would make a difference. I thought I had left it on and the tone was a low battery ( OK- hope-ing / "hoping" never has looked correct to me) so , I plugged the battery

back into the charger. After about 30 minutes, I plugged the unit back in, it works fine--I continued to charge for 12-14 hrs. Saturday morning ---humming

the theme song to "Rocky"--smelling salt-air ( checking out the chicks ) I fired that mother up--you guessed it--tonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnne. Has anyone experienced

this problem ? I'm going to call minelab Monday, and see what they have to say. I'll post their answer. Thanks P.S. Gota love a Back-up m-d

When you say that you turned it back on and it "worked fine", do you mean you were getting variable tones at that time?

Also, you mentioned trying everything but I did not see mention of the "Disc/Pinpoint" switch. In order to get variable tones that needs to be in the Disc position. You probably know this and may actually have a problem, but I just wanted to make sure that the single tone you might be hearing is just a steady threshold tone and the threshold is turned up too high and the machine is in pinpoint perhaps?

Try the Disc control at the top on 1, the sensitivity at 12 noon, the volume at 3/4's, the threshold at a SLIGHT buzz, and the Disc/Pinpoint in Disc. If there's not a big difference in tone between a quarter and a nickel, call Minelab and send it in.

Yes "worked fine" means variable tones. The tone I got was LOUD, continuous, and unresponsive to any adjustment.

I talk to Dick at Minelab in Las Vegas, He told me I was hearing a "low battery" signal. Dick had me check

the out-put of the charger-18.3 volts, so its not the charger, He seem to think either the battery is bad or has a bad cell. They

are going to give the excalibur the once over. Soooo a trip to the p.o. and settle in for the "wait"

thanks for the in-put

Well, the low battery tone is NOT a solid tone. It's a high pitched shriek that comes maybe a minute or so apart, getting closer together the lower it gets. I guess the thing to do after testing the battery charger output would be to check the battery itself for proper voltage. But if you're sending it in, hopefully they will make it all better and turn it around to you quickly.

n/t

Minelab made it better ( it was the coil ), but I don't think "quick" is in their vocabulary. Six weeks is probably the usual turn

around time on repairs, it felt like forever to me. I'm leaving it on for a couple of hours a-day, after I bench test it, so I'll

know for sure it works before I leave for the beach this week-end. Plus it will work the battery. Thanks for all the input.