Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Excaliber's Threshold Variation

rickf68

I recently purchased a used excaliber 800. Took it out for the first time today to the salt beach. I noticed the threshold would switch from a low tone to high and back but not quickly like if over a target. Is this normal? I tried sensitivety from auto to about 12 o'clock and didn't seem to make a difference. I did find a few coins and junk of course so I know it's working. Just need some advice or reasurance. Thanks, Rick

I'm not an expert. I can't tell you why but mine has always done the same thing and I know for certain that its working great.
Thanks,
Cal

Same here. With the older 800 unit that I sold, and the newer Excal II, it will go from a low hum to a high and back. I am trying to figure out how to move it back to low because I like it better and it may be better functionally as well (deeper??). I tried to move it over my digger to see if it would then return to the low threshold hum. Seems like to goes back on it's own after 10 seconds or so of just carrying on my swinging. It is normal though Id say. I may try a reset by turning the unit off and then set it again. Any thoughts on this would be interesting to me.
Russ

Quite often the only indication of a deep target is the change in threshold, same as the Sovereigns, when the threshold changes to a higher tone investigate more, if nothing try AM/pinpoint to see if anything is there, if not It could be your running the sens too high, it will also change back to the lower tone if the item is at extreme range and quite often the iron growl, you could scrape off some sand and try again but changing to am i find it the best, that way your certain something is down there.

Better still hunt in AM and change to disc to identify, you will find more deep targets that just don't register at all in disc mode

Thanks all for responding. Mine is doing exactly as darksky reported. I thought perhaps sens was to high so I tried auto and also manual but didn't seem to make a difference. I've seen fellow users recommend settings for the excal II and would these apply to these older models. I assume by 12 o'clock they mean the nob marker is pointing straight down the shaft. That said, I tried running from 10 to 1 on the white sand beach here in the NE. I was thinking about running AM because I heard it goes deeper. I assume you guys switch to disc after to verify iron or not. Would the wet sand cause this because I'm thinking I did'nt notice this in the dry sand higher on the beach? This is my first true water machine and was supposedly sent back to factory for a checkup before I bought it. Thanks again, Rick

Falses from mineral or noise spikes ...or both could be your problem. Most probably noise.
Some locations are not too bad, while others will have your threshold pitch bouncing around all the time.
Your location is probably your only problem

HH

Check the coil cover by removing it to make sure there has been no buildup of sand or dirt between it and the coil as this may cause that type problem along with falseing and why some run with out a coil cover or silicone seal the coil cover to the coil.
Respectfully,
Larry

ditto larry, check coil cover for sand and water inside, does cause a bit of a problem at times, i just take my coil cover off while at beach, just seems to work better for me..:clapping::detecting:

Hey Thanks again, You guys are great and you are right. There was some sand in between when I pulled the lower shaft out and coil cover off to rinse off. I'm headed back out tomorrow to hit NH beach. I'll try fine tuning sens and threshold also as suggested by some of the other posts. It's my first true water machine and my first Minelab. Lovin the thing already with the depth I got on a couple of targets. There's a learning curve going from my MXT to this. I got to retrain my hearing.:thumbup: Rick

Does the all metal mode work well in the water? I've seen posts of people using it on sanded beach, Haven't tried it yet and thought I'd ask before hand. Sorry for so many questions.:shrug:

Ask away, we all love the questions, I have learned so much from this forum that I check it daily to see whats happening. When I first got my Excalibur Gulf Hunter and Old Beechnut helped me out to the point when I finally got to the lake I found 2 gold rings in a relative short time. You will find the expertise is really phenomenal, the only caution is there are guys like me that could write a brochure on how to use the Excalibur, then there are the guys that could write a book on the Excalibur, those are the guys you want to key in on for questions.:clap:

Gerry