Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Excal Tones

TNBob

Guys: I tested my excal tonight since the weather up here in TN is too cold to detect now with the ground frozen. I will be in Myrtle beach for the Treasure show next month so I plan to hunt the water there. My question is why does a gold ring give a lower tone than a silver earring? Both air tested at about 6 to 8 inches. I have read that Minelab's air test poorly on small targets, but it tested at 2 feet for an aluminun can. Also, the gold nugget I tested disappeared when next to iron with 1 discrimination. Why would it? Shouldnt we be hunting the beaches in all metal mode anyway if we are losing targets next to iron when it blanks out on normal tone. I also noticed that if you get 12 inches from a jewelry target you get a warble in threshold but the threshold tone increases up to a higher tone. Does this mean that any change in threshold indicates a deep target? This got me confused and explains why I havent found any gold yet with the Excal. You gotta dig everthing it seems. I have dug up my share great coins, tin cans and aluminum cans plus a few hundred pull tabs. Do I qualify to be a pull tab junkie or Can king??? LOL
Thanks for the comments, Bob

Bob,

you just cant afford to try and analyse every quirk of the detector.
If it nulls... dont dig, and yes, I AM aware that really DEEP gold supposedly nulls, personally I dont believe it nor care if its true.
If its obviously a large target or becomes apparent after a scoop or two that its a large target... dont dig.
Its not going to be the stuff that dreams are made of.
But every other little, faint squeek, squawck, half signal, whatever..... DIG!!!!!!

The stuff I am now finding on ground that I've already worked thoroughly, but not carefully amazes me.
I cant believe what I left behind on my first passes through these areas.
And we're not talking about surf where the environment is changing all the time but rather still water situations with a static depth of sand onto a fairly hard bottom.
And neither are the majority of these recent drops, with the exception of small articles such as earrings, but rather they're right down in the hard stuff.

I know its a pain sometimes, but really, you have to dig nearly everthing.

Lou.

The metal alloyed with the gold is not as conductive as the silver you are using, is why the gold sounds lower. Gold nuggets; if you do these on a regular basis, the Excal isn't the machine to use. Mult freq machines are expecting to be searching a ground matrix and don't do as well in air as some other machines.