Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Excal Modifications

galap5

I just got off the phone with Minelab and they no longer do modifications for the general public. I need, or would like to, eliminate the Disc/Pinpoint switch and relocate it as a push button on the handle. Can this be done? And is there anyone out there qualified to do this?

Thanks!!
Chuck

In theory it could be done with all waterproof components, much like quite a few rigged up their Sovs in a similar manner (but without worrying about the waterproof part).

Never have heard of anyone trying this with an Xcal.. Waterproof switches and sealed connections would be the major issue.

HH

I am not worried about it being waterproof. The waves around here are to big for surf detecting. Water resistant will be fine!!

[size=large]I am Game on this one, Pasted thur my head with that Idea when I started Hunting almetal, Thought about the Minelab SD 2200D , handle, ground balance, but water proof? Anyway went the short cut and turned the body around where the head phone cord is reversed..You don't have to reach as far to switch. Figured when I wore out the knob switching between the two I would have to do the water proof button on the handle...Please take Pics of this mod when anyone does it, I wired & soidered Cars, Bikes, MotherBoards...Why not My Excal....................Keep Me Posted Guys!!!!!!!

Thanks Obn[size=large][/size][/size]

I don't know how many remember the spring loaded button modification on the CZ 20.It had
a lever that attached to the knob shaft of the disc./pinpoint control.You would run in
all metal,and when you got a hit you would press the button and it would switch to
disc. for tone ID.That eliminated any need for electronics.One big problem on the Excals
is that the shaft is a little stiff to turn,otherwise something like that could probably be
done with all stainless parts and some engineering.(rods,springs,cable,etc.).A plate
attached to the bottom of the excal(like the knob guard)would make a good base for
such a set-up.Just something to mull over.Good luck and HH Joe