Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

excal in the goldfields

koki

If the excal is so good at finding gold on the beach then why is it not recommended as a nugget detecting machine?

I was reading somewhere that the Excalibur is used in the Australian gold fields. The Excalibur is not real good for real small gold but for larger nuggets, it does work pretty well. There are specialized machines for gold detecting but the Excalibur can and is being used for finding gold.

It does work real good for finding gold coins, chains and jewelry.

I have found with my Excalibur very small pieces of a gold ring that was hit by a lawn mower. Parts of it were so tiny to the point of being almost unable to see them. Gold does stand out from the brown ground though and I was able to find most of the ring. It was in 6 pieces scattered around.

Thanks Steve,
I was just curious. I contacted the guys at minelab before I bought the excal, since I was weighing up features of the excal vs xterra. They indicated that the excal was not suitable for the goldfields, wheras the xterra had the optional 5x10 DD coil that made it suitable. Since then I've wondered why the excal wouldn't work since it seems to handle the mineralised beach sand really well and has no problem picking up gold ( not that mine has had a lot of practice with the gold just yet! ) . I'm not planning a trip to the goldfields in the near future, just trying to learn more about how this machine works
..... thanks again

Gudday Koki,
I have used my Excal on the Goldfields, but with nil success to finding any gold in its natural form.
But I did pick heaps of old pennies and lots really old bric brac.
I also came across a very nasty Eastern Brown which attack the coil several times. I was just swinging away
when I eye balled this fella heading my way at a great rate of knots.Maybe breeding season, but he definetly
didnt want me anywhere near the place.At 5 feet long and almost as thick as your wrist I held out the Excal to slow down this fella and backed away really quick.They are really one nasty snake that I reckon will hunt you out if your in their territory.
Give it a go ya dont know what ya going ta find, maybe a Soveriegn or two.
HH andcheers
aushunter:ausflag::minelab:

That snake bit is enough to put me off any thoughts of heading to the goldfields. Think I'll stick to the beach, it seems a lot safer!

I don't know what part of the world that you come from, but that's pretty well the norm in Aus, as the
place is loaded with plenty of little and big nasties creepin around. Just gotta keep your eyes open.
There are other critters out there that put on a bit of a bluff like this Bearded Dragon.
This is actually taken way back in Oct 96 on the Tooloom Goldfield (no I didn't kiss the lizard as it would probably rip my lips off).
Like I said no gold but a few pennies and some old brassy bit etc.
Anyway, HH and cheers.
Aushunter:ausflag::minelab: