Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Excal II threshold hum....

YOHOHO

I was finally able to take my new Excal II out this morning! I definitely need to pick up a straight shaft for one...

I was able to find some clad at good depth, but I was curious about the threshold...

I set my machine at Disc = 1 Sens = 6 Vol = 3/4 and i set the threshold at a low humm... The hum would totally disappear after I hit a strong signal (like my scoop...oops) and would not return until I moved the knob. Then at times the hum was low and while sweeping the hum would increase greatly all of a sudden and remain at a high level requiring me to knob it down...

Is this normal?

I have an Excal 1000 , the settings are similar.
Disc 1,Volume all the up, Sens between 2 and 11 o'clock,
Threshold set to just! hearing it.
I leave the threshold alone, ie: your hit an iron target you get the low threshold tone. This tone stays until you hit another target,then it takes that tone.
Some detectorists reset the tone using their scoop.
I hardly ever adjust threshold knob.
I have areas on my beaches where the black sand is 2 feet deep,I well lose the threshold hum but I'm still hitting targets and some depth.

Does it run well in all metal (pin point)?

I don't like to hunt in "pin point" mode.

When I get a target signal and dig the target or decide to move on based on the signal the tone stays at the level of the last target!

As mentioned above some hunters opt to "re-set" by passing the coil close to their scoop, a screw, rivet or nail in their shoe!

I don't think any depth is lost if you just let it continue at that level of response until the next target is located.

I really enjoy hunting with my Excal on the beach, but not as much in the water!

I prefer a PI in the suds!

GL&HH Fellow Hunter,

CJ

YOHOHO said:
The hum would totally disappear after I hit a strong signal (like my scoop...oops) and would not return until I moved the knob.
Then at times the hum was low and while sweeping the hum would increase greatly all of a sudden and remain at a high level requiring me to knob it down...

If you pass over iron the threshold will null out but should return fairly quickly.
You can do some experimenting with a dime and a nail.
Lay them on the ground and see how close you can get the dime to the nail and still be able to detect it.
Try that also with a quarter and a penny.

If you are talking about the frequency of the threshold tone then Yes ... it will change as you sweep the coil but it should not be excessive unless you have the sensitivity set too high for the area you are hunting.
The background should stat fairly steady during your swing unless it detects something.

If the volume of the threshold is changing ... that is not normal.
The only time the volume should change is when the detector is sensing a metal target under its coil.

The volume of the tone increases as the object is closer to the coil or is a large object.
The frequency of the tone reflects the conductivity of the metal it is detecting.
High sounding tone = high conductivity.
Loud tone = close to the coil or very large target.

Thanks so much for all the information. It's all been very helpful in understanding the machine. I apologize for my lack of clarity in my questions. I need to learn my terminology...

Willee noted "If the volume of the threshold is changing ... that is not normal." ....*&#@$...Well that's not good to hear, but confirms my initial thoughts. The volume is what changes on the threshold. Going from low... silent ...low ...high...

I'm going to get back out tomorrow morning and see if I have the same problem.

My threshold volume changes as I use my GT. Quite often, after hitting some large iron, I must adjust the threshold down to the level at which it is just audible.

I attribute this to thermal changes in the circuitry, the longer I run it the more I need to make adjustments.

Not like I'm changing it every 5 minutes, but maybe a couple of times an hour.

joe

I'm new with the Excalibur ll but from reading the manual, the detector is a little different from other detectors I've had. The manual is accurate when it tells you to adjust the threshold to a minimal hum and set your disc/pinpoint to your desired location. Set discrimination to a level you want you want to eliminate trash, but as the book says as you turn up the level of discrimination you will loose desirable's. As you detect in discrimination the detector will null out the trash and depending how much trash there is it maybe a short bit before the threshold returns to your to your settings. There are high and low sounds in the threshold and depending which sound it is, the machine is telling you that you just passed ferrous or non-ferrous material. In the pinpoint (all metal) the threshold does not change sounds and stays steady. I think that you changed the threshold level before it came back to normal level, now it is too high when you pass over another target (high or low) sound, so you turn it back down. The only other thing is the battery charge. As the batteries weaken over usage the threshold will change on its own, see the owners manual. I made sure to charge the batteries 17 hours as the manual read before I even turned it on. I'm enjoying mine, but there is a learning curve the comfort level sets in.

Hardtack1862

Well, I've gone out twice now and I think the problem is gone. I recharged my battery and wiggled things... I'm hoping that's the last problem I'll have....

Thanks so much for the info...