Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Excal.II shafts

digger880

When reading this forum in the past, I've noticed several pictures of Excal.II's showing offset braces, secured with 4 sets of fasteners holding the upper and lower shafts together, thus eliminating flexing of the lower shaft when searching in water. Can anyone tell me where those braces can be bought?
And thanks to all who've provided those pictures.
I just got my machine back this past Monday with a brand new coil and it's working great on sand, but I don't feel safe taking it in the water until I have some bracing between the shafts to eliminate play.
Thanksw in advance, Digger880.

I'm not sure what your on about with the bracing, can you post one of the photos

The photo's that I've seen were all on this forum; they were full length shots and showed a metal two-piece (offset to fit both shafts snugly) member fastened with 4 through bolts - two through the upper shaft and 2 through the lower shaft. I can't find the exact photo's now, but they've been on the forum during the past 6 weeks.
Digger880

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?21,1045539,1045977#msg-1045977 if its this one it looks like the upper shaft has broken and had a mend job, maybe GH will confirm.
or maybe the lower rod bolted at a set size

Here is my set-up for all 3 units.
[attachment 147175 Excal800Peltors.JPG]

This is a Lightning Rod, from DeMarco Detector Sales. Once I obtain the correct height, I drill ALL the way through the push pin holes and install stainless bolts, flat washers and nylock nuts to stabilize the lower shaft(the only bad thing is, when I do this the paint peels on the shaft, LOL!). This makes the lower shaft rock solid and eliminates the waller, when the lower shaft gets loose and also reduces fatigue, fighting against this also. I ALSO drill the coil ears and lower stem to 5/16" and use a 2" nylon bolt and wingnut to stabilize the coil, as the stock bolt will allow coil flop in the surf and this lines things out REAL NICE! Be sure to change out the tear-drop rubber washers frequently to make sure the coil does not flop.

Thanks, Gulfhunter. I think that'll work for me. The overall shaft is a little too short for me (I'm a little over 6'6").Do the stainless bolts and washers cause any falsing? Right now, I'm working with the lower shaft shimmed with a double wrap of duct tape. So far, so good.
HH. Rod McD.

When drilling through a painted shaft: try wrapping a layer of masking tape and drill through it to minimize the flaking or peeling.

The lightning rod is a great addition to my Excal II 800. If you follow GH's instructions, you can't go wrong.