Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Excal II Coil Cover: 2B or Not 2B

darksky

I should receive my new Excal II today. I know that the coil cover is included but I have read quite a few negative comments regarding using one. Trapped sand, falsing due to trapped particles, difficult to remove if sand gets in etc. I know folks are applying Marine Epoxy and other adhesives to protect the coil. But, if I am not hunting in a rocky area or in the water with coral reefs, why does a coil that appears to be very tough need protection? I'm not scrubbing the ground , though of course contact is made here and there. Would applying epoxy to the underside void a warranty from Minelab? I could ask them of course but maybe some of you have prior feedback.

Russ

I use mine as it comes with the coil cover, if it starts falsing its a 2 minute job to clean it, only ever had to do it once

I use mine and take it off periodically to clean the sand out if any at all, I keep my coil cover on as I use my machine a reasonable amount, I think over time we say "I don't scrub the sand or rocks with it" but I feel if you are aggressively hunting you can't help but scuff the coil occasionally. I am not cheap just frugal:lol: and if the cover wasn't necessary Minelab would not include it as part of the package JMHO.

Gerry

I don't use my cover. I put spray truck bed liner on the bottom of the coil. Works for me.
Thanks,
Cal

Yes, warranty is voided with the application of the epoxy, don't do it. I will NEVER do it again. Wash the coil cover out when you get home and run it! Opinions will vary, you've heard my take and I'm sticking to it.

As far as taken it off being a problem, that's just a non issue. Mine comes off each hunt and goes back on no trouble at all.A lot of my hunting is in the water so sand does get in each hunt. You should be washing that machine of each hunt anyhow so the cover would just be one more step. steve

kered said:
I use mine as it comes with the coil cover, if it starts falsing its a 2 minute job to clean it, only ever had to do it once

that should read, only ever had to do it once at the beach, it always gets hosed when i get home together with the wetsuite/boots if i've used em

when im at the beach i dont use my coil cover, ive had allot of faulsing issues with mine on going from sand and water inside..if im not going into water and going to stay on dry sand only then ill use mine..it seems to work just fine for me this way..:detecting:

OK, well I received the machine and went out to hunt on a Delware beach. Used the coil cover. It is tough to get off and needs some prying or downward pressure from various points along the coil using a tool. I can't just slip off but then Id have lost it in the surf anyway if it came off that easily! I will use mine. had no trouble with falsing at all. I may as well post a quick report on my first impressions with the Excal II. I'll start a thread because such posts helped me make a choice when i was in the market! Pass it around is what I say.
Russ

I use bed liner spray on my coils after I found that the marine epoxy would chip off. Much more durable than the epoxy and eliminates the hassle of a CC. HOWEVER, wait until the warranty runs out before U do this as IT WILL VOID THE WARRANTY

I was going to say the same thing that Eric did. I like the non- issue of a coil cover but definitely wait till the warranty is out.

Gulf Hunter said:
Yes, warranty is voided with the application of the epoxy, don't do it. I will NEVER do it again. Wash the coil cover out when you get home and run it! Opinions will vary, you've heard my take and I'm sticking to it.

this is some of the best advice you'll ever get concerning this subject line,,,,,,,,,im sticking with your take also

I will tell you this much, I have used 3 different types of coils, Garret Fisher and Minelab and I have never used a coil cover on any of them. The fist 2 coils were scratched but never damaged (8 years for both). i have had the minelab 11 Excal for about a year and change and I got to tell you its not even close to wearing out and i am hard on my coils. I hate cleaning out the cover every time i drop it in a hole to check for a signal on the beach. Try to pull one off the coil cover to clear out the sand (BLACK SAND IS THE WORSE FOR FAULSING) caught in the cover. Look, there are allot of opinions on this subject as there are allot of really good MD people on this site as well but for me, don't worry about scratching the bottom of the coil just have fun, your knees and rotater cup will wear out first before the bottom of the coil will.
Godd luck and enjoy this great machine, Billy, AKA Ratpack
P.S. Please listen to Gulf Hunter and dont put any crap on the bottom of the coil, it will void your warenty He knows what he is talking about.

I agree with you and Gulf Hunter 99%. I have an older Excalibur out of warranty and I don't think it has hurt it at all to put some spray bed liner on it. Its actually easier to keep clean and very durable. I'm not a very good painter but its on there.:thumbup:

Some people just seal the cover with a bead of silicone which is removable if you don't go nuts with the bead. I don't do mine. I like to take the lower section and cover apart and rinse everything after each use. Maintenance saves $$$$.:super: