Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Excal II 8" second hunt...Clad galore

darksky

Well, went to a different beach in Maryland. Lots of clad coins in water and along the shoreline.
2 pieces junk Jewelry. The Excal II definitely gives a nice low tone on non clad coins other than nickels which
have a moderately low tone. I could always tell a dime and a nickel though the quarters and pennies
were harder to distinguish, both bold and loud with similar pitch.

I am not too pleased with not finding gold yet though. It is a bit frustrating. I need some positive reinforcement.
It is not the detector. I mean, I have to be over gold for the chance to sense it. I am still very pleased
with the Excal II. But I wonder how I can find so many coins, a few pieces of junk jewelry, yet no gold.
I suppose it is rarer than I thought or it is much deeper than anything else. Some of these coins were deep for sure
though.

I show a flotation addition I made to the Excal II. Nice. Lets the MD float and it's easy to find, that is when
I let it go in the water.

Something interesting: OC MD had 250,000-300,000 people coming down in summer. I found the tag
in the picture. Gave a nice low signal too. I was excited but just a Tag.
It is a medical tag. I "whited out" name and SS#. What is really strange is that I KNOW the owner's
Dad. Go figure. I'll return it when I see him next week. This is quite a coincedence.
darksky

Well, I think you are getting close! With those nickels coming out it is only a matter of time. Did you dig any lead sinkers? Look at it this way, you are learning the machine and that is a good thing. You will pick up some gold if you keep plugging away at it and most importantly you will be educated by all the time you are putting into the machine and by the variation in the things you are recovering.. Can not beat that! In the long run it will be worth it. Successful beach hunters are not born over night!

Best regards,
Steve

[size=large]Looks like a good winter hunt for OC, think in 7 trips last winter I found only 2 gold rings, OC just does not give up much during the winter, other then clad unless there is a good storm. Neat find on the tag, check to see when they lost it would be interesting. Just hold onto your horses for summer, you are in for a wild ride on those hot summer days on this beach, you should pull down about 30 dollars a day in clad with at least 2 golds in 5 hour hunts. Weekends use to be very good but seems the inlet area has changed to a different crowd, and now it is the weekdays that produce the best. The only thing I don't like about this beach is the waves can be violently ruff like bricks from behind. You have a great machine for this beach should not take you long to pay for the Xcal II this summer...Good Luck...see you on the beach in a few weeks will pm when I set a date.......Joe[/size]

Great. Do PM me when you come down. January is getting really busy and I have a business trip likely, soccer duties (my Daughter). PM and I have maybe an idea for a different beach. If I try it first will let you know. Probably will be similar though. There were 2 other detectorists out there today, maybe a third way down, not sure what they were using. One went into water about 200 feet in front of my path of searching. Oh well, he had to go in somewhere I guess, though Id have walked a ways down myself really and made plenty of space between us. I mean there was MILES of beach. Other MD guy was on shore. I actually went over the shore line where he had searched and dug LOTs of clad. I do not think he was ignoring clad. Had his whole family with him. seemed a bit of a novice. Not that I am anything other than an intermediate at best!
Thanks for the data on gold and OC. Yes, not sure about how much gold they wear there. I started at municipal lot. Really, I am pleased in learning the machine and being ready for Memorial day and after! Tried spiraling around quarters when they were on land. Just more clad. Darn I love the machine though. And the workout..........my 10"X 8" beach Brute is a bear after 4 hours and one arm digging. Great workout.

That's some great digging to pull all those coins pards! Keep at it! If I get into a patch where I am pulling big lead sinkers and coins like that I will really sweep that area hard in small sections (I mark my progress in the top of the wetsand and go over it at different angles, switching from disc to AM). Try some all metal hunting and see if the rings are just under your coin layer too. Your gonna get some though....just looking at the photos, I'd lay a bet on it.