Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Excal 2 Peltor Mod

stillhuntin

The waves were big yesterday and kept knocking those cheap Koss phones off my head, so i got Clives book out this morning turned to the last page and went to operating, three hours later the operation was a success, all i can say is that its night and day, i used a pair of Peltor Bullsey9s that i had for my rifle shooting and they worked just as descibed in the book.I even used the black grommets from the Koss phones were the wires pass thru.Thanks Gulf Hunter for the tip the other day.

hi stillhunting, i also just got the peltors, i got the black optime 101 model. i also hate the koss headphones. did you follow the steps in clives book, or did you go a different way.
ill tear mine down this week. looks like you did a great job. thanks for the post.

I followed Clives way for the most of it,i made one wire cut in each phone,just above there knot in the wire and then pulled the wire thru the Koss head piece, make sure you drill the new holes for the wires down far enough so they come under the transducers when the ducers are sitting in the new cups,i also used marine heat shrink,it already has the clue in it, i heat shrinked each joint with smaller diameter shrink then slid a larger diameter piece of shrink over the hole joint and shrunk it,i used tin snips to trim the ducers,i also re-used the old black grommets from the Koss phones, they pop right out, i then used the Koss holes to size up the drill bits,take extra care in stripping the wires,you only get one shot,before you solder the joints take one last look make sure you slid the heat shrink over the wire and are the grommets in the new holes,nothing to it and makes a huge differance.

Is the mod for keeping the phones on your head better or are they quiter in the wind? Thanx

Very Nice Job, Looks Better then Mine! It makes a world of difference in keeping out the Surf noise. Plus. You retain the Low Gold tones of the original Head phones that I like over the GG Phones. Here is my set up with the Cam and the Amp on each side....That was a Guttzzzzzze Pirate Move changing over on that new Excal II........I think you have started A HeadPhone Revolt..!! You MadSea Dog!

Thanks OBN and yah that was hard cutting into a $1200 machine, but i was not happy with the Koss, i could hear people talking to each other while i had the Koss phones on, it was definatly worth it and i cant believe this new sound i am hearing, cant wait to get back to the beach.

I'm glad to see you guys like my headphone Mod it truly does make a world of difference in the overall sound quality, nose reduction and comfort over the stock minelab headphones.
photo shows a 4 year old pair made using blue headphone guts and Peltor Bullseye7 h7As it was the first mod i did
I just upgraded them last week with a new pair of "tits" slang for ear cushions , The new ear cushions are a luxury step up in comfort and noise reduction the dual sealing rings are bladders that are filled with silicon gel like they use in Brest enlargements. Ive been hunting with a smile on my face since i got them LOL

WOW:) gotta get a pair of them Mr Gold Master, i will stop by Grainger tommorow, i can see it now a beach full of smiling detectorist.

One of the Easiest Mods you can do And with Great results...Seen your post on them about a year ago. Thank You! Any Other Mods you would want to share Like Any Ideas on changing the Pinpoint Knob over to the Handle Grip {waterproof} Push Button or thumb Toggle ..I know the Sd2200 has one for ground balance, sure would be a time saver. We are open for Ideas...Thanks...Obn

You got your ear cushions Direct from Peltor?
Granger..thanks

Here is the link for cheapest deal i found on the peltor hy80 "tits" http://www.skygeek.com/hy80.html
The "tits"are a bit pricey but like a fine lady their well worth the price for the luxury they provide.
OBN i got a few other good mods i will release down the road.