Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

EXcablier 8' or 10'coil which way to go?

HISTORYDIGGER

Looking at getting a Excablier which way to go 8" or 10" I know they both have certain advantages and disadvantages. so what is every using thanks.

Because I am a MD salesperson, I have used most brands of underwater metal detectors in the Caribbean. I switched to the Excalibur 800 in the mid 90s and since, my 800 has found over 15 pounds of gold jewelry. Last year to help pay real estate taxes, I sold 4 pounds of wedding rings for scrap. For the 12k I got $4.25 a gram, for the 14k I received $6.25 gram & for the 18k I got $8.25 a gram. When platinum reaches $1,000 a ounce, I will sell the 10 platinum rings I have found. Since starting water detecting I must have found over 25 pounds of silver jewelry & Silver finds are not much of a thrill anymore.
I returned from Guadeloupe & Martinique in June 2005 and next week I'm on my way with another water detecting group to Barbados & St Lucia.
All Aboard for Caribbean
From 8/25/05. Donald Foster, Claremont, NH, Charlie Gates of Rutland, VT. Dennis Salsberry of Charlestown, Rhode island and myself (George Streeter) of Keene, NH will spend a 12 day beach treasure hunting vacation in Barbados & St Lucia.
In Barbados we will hunt with very reputable friends ( 100s of times, each has as

I have been useing a Minelab Excalibur 800 since 1997. After many years with the eight inch coil, I had the Eight inch coil switched for a ten inch coil. After a few times out with the ten inch coil I found that it had Enough Excess drag under water that I switched back to the Eight inch coil. I have found a lot of Jewelry and nice finds with the Eight inch coil and would not trade it for any other detector.
Metal detecting under water with a eight inch coil has been a real enjoyment for me. I also found it a little harder to pinpoint with a Ten inch coil under water where I could not see the coil as the water has lower visibility.
HH:cool:
Chris

Well i use the 10" myself, been useing one for a long time, if you do get the 10" coil go with the straight shaft, the one Mark makes he sells them on ebay, under minelab, they go about 80.00 and they are a relief on your arm, i usely hunt for 6 hours straight and i feel great, i mean your tired, but not sore, i think the 10" coil you'll find a little more than the 8" coil, but everybody to their oun likings,
Hope this helps ya, HH Harold in fla.

What ever you feel comfortable with is your best bet. The 8" coil is really a 7" coil. I say when you find $100,000 with one model, don't change. I have talked friends into having the 10" replaced with the 800 size and all have doubled their finds. My friend Billy from Boylston switched & on first outing in Guadeloupe with the smaller coil he found 112 gold items. I use the straight shaft with the knob protector that is made by Babbs. I wouldn't use the Excalibur any other way.

When I purchased my Excalibur they only offered the 8" coil. I seem to find as much as the guys using the 10" coil. The 8" is more stable in salt water and the sensitivity can be set higher with it. Like Harold, I also use the straight shaft that Mark sells on eBay. For beach hunting I use a Sovereign with either a 10" coil or a 15" Coiltek WOT coil. ~John

Hey Historydigger, Welcome to the world of the EXCALIBUR! I have (3) Excaliburs, and have been waterhunting/beach hunting for over (5) yrs. with an 8" Excalibur. This yr. I converted two of my (3) Excaliburs to the 10" Coils. In all honesty, if you are going to be doing alot of waterhunting stay with the 8" coil. But, if you are mostly going to be beach hunting/land hunting with it, switch to the 10" coil. In murky water it is a whole lot easier to pinpoint targets with the 8", compared to the 10". But, if you are working the beach or land you want the added depth/power of the 10", and most of all the bigger footprint for added coverage, which means more potential targets. Just my opinion, best of luck with your decision, hh