Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Exacablier coil size which way to go?

HISTORYDIGGER

I also posted this on the SOV./EX FORUM. wHICH WAY TO go on coil size am ordering one and want to see what most of you are using thanks.

I have the Excalibur 1000 and would not trade it for an 800. Yes, it MAY get a little less depth, but I figure that the extra ground coverage I get from a 10" coil more than makes up for it. I have not problem swinging my 10" coil but I do hip mount my detector. Most will probably say get a straight shaft. Have not gotten one yet but hope to for Xmas, if I am good.

Hummmm, I have always heard the opposite. The 8" coil gives better depth due to the tighter signal and it is better for pin pointing, the 10" gives you better ground coverage. I have never used an 8" coil so I am just relying on what I remember reading.

Now mind you, my mind and memory ain't what it once was.

I do know that when this question has come up in the past, most responses have been in favor for the 10" coin.

A larger coil always goes deeper than a smaller coil.
However, a smaller coil will pickup smaller objects.
A smaller coil also has better signal separation,
but only place this might be of use is
in dry sand where there is alot of trash.

The only real advantage of the 8" coil is it is easier
to swing, but then you have to swing it like crazy
to get the same coverage of a 10" coil.

Overall, the 10" coil is the way to go, IMO.

I placed a quarter and my wedding ring in the back yard on the grass. I air tested the old 8 inch coil and the quarter and ring tested good to around 7 to 8 inches.

After the coil swap, I went back out and did the exact test. Both now test to 12 inches. Quite an increase in depth. Should be better in the wet sand too.

Now, it IS much heavier but that's a good trade off for me.

Ron