Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ever been in a boat in fog? Better know what your doing..

Ron J

unless you have electronics, even then must watch out.[attachment 99521 DSC05033.jpg][attachment 99522 DSC05036.jpg]a little "pea soup" the sailor was smart, lowered the sails, and motored in.[attachment 99523 DSC05040.jpg][attachment 99524 DSC05041.jpg][attachment 99525 DSC05042.jpg]

any instruments at all, even a compass :( I was on a big lake in the Canadian bush and ignored my common sense. In fact I doubt I had any back then. Got socked in and had to hug the shore, once I found it and follow it back to camp. The lakes up there and just full of huge rocks so we had to inch along at idle speed and it took hours.

With the rocks in some of those lakes a compass and GPS would not have helped that much unless you plotted a clear route out and followed it back.

Fog sucks

There were enough fog horns in the areas I ran, that I could at least be heading in the right direction. I was glad when we got radar. Hard to watch the prop wake when you can only see it for hundred yards or less. Compass brought me home from Fishers Island many a time late a night.

Even with a good compass and knowing where I was, it still feels uncomfortable.

Fair winds

Mikie

I had to get across the lake at an idle. I could have hit other boats and the only way I really found my way was following the bouys of a string of crab traps. When they ran out I just sorta winged it. Very tense as I could hear other clowns on the lake with their boats wide open. At least it sounded that way and with the thick fog I could not really tell which direction they were.

Lots of Gators in that lake too and I was alone