Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

etrac vs V3

oophotography

I posted similar se vs dxt several months ago. I received more than adequate response but never bought either. I still do not own or have ever owned a metal detector. The 'sport' is intriguing and am very close to pulling the buy trigger. Now for the new dilemma. Etrac vs V3 - Any comments or suggestions? Please and Thank You!

Best,
Scott

oophotography said:
I posted similar se vs dxt several months ago. I received more than adequate response but never bought either. I still do not own or have ever owned a metal detector. The 'sport' is intriguing and am very close to pulling the buy trigger. Now for the new dilemma. Etrac vs V3 - Any comments or suggestions? Please and Thank You!

Best,
Scott
surprised that you are asking on this forum since you posted on the v3 forum that you thought the vision was winning. You might get different views on this forum. Good luck on your choice

I have owned many of metal detectors . The E Trac and V3 are two exceptions. I have however owned explorers , XS and X , quatro . The learning curve is quite extensive on the explorers as I am sure the learning curve is also quite extensive on the V3.My point is that you may want to start out with a simpler detector the first time around .With this being your first detector you are jumping off in deep water . Just my thoughts on the matter .I am planning to order the E Trac this week hopefully . Best wishes on your decision ............... Charles

Hi Scott,

What ever you decide to buy, then you simply need to remember that you'd be better of initially using the on-board defaults of either these two and most other detectors that are similar to them.(some might argue that the earlier versions are better or as good).
I'm of the opinion that there is no use being told that you should buy an old analog phone until you learn to use it BEFORE you should get the latest and greatest mobile phone available. Get what's available and then use it. It's not rocket science. You'll eventually build up enough confidence to venture into using ANY detector to it's optimum best by placing your own settings into it that will take it into the area where the experience of using it and following instructions will teach you to find objects easier. I believe that , provided the detector is working well, it can be a whole lot less intimidating to use and learn to use that one's own home P.C. and we are talking about buying and using a detector here, aren't we? I don't think it can have any life changing effects on you, so don't get to scared about deciding.

You'll probably find the experience quite challenging and fun when first learning to use this technology and probably come to appreciate it even more IF you continue to learn from using and understanding a detectors strengths and abilities.

Most importantly, realize that the only way that you will find anything, with just about any detector, is conditional to how well you can use the detector of your choice and if there are any targets that are there to find in the first place. As an old saying goes "Gold is where you find it". That's true for anything else the you may seek.......it's where you find it.

I hope you find lots of the good stuff and come back and show us.

Take care

daviddi

The only way to know which detector is the best for your needs is to use and learn both for a good long while and then make a educated decision.Anything else is hearsay,Hearsay literally means information gathered by the first person from a second person concerning some event, condition, or thing of which the first person had no direct experience.

I have a somewhat different slant. Get a machine that you can grow with. If you buy a basic machine it will not satisfy you as you become more experienced. A quality machine that has good out of the box performance and that you can tweak to your satisfaction as your experience increases will be more satisfying in the long run. that's my .01., .01 worth at any rate. Terry

I own an E trac and I've been very successful on both ploughed and pasture land and dug some some nice coins and good depth. I'm really interested to hear from anyone who owns both machines or has tried the Spectra and can make an educated comparison. It does look impressive, I just hope it performs as stated.

buy that used whites m6 that richard has on here for a good price and get your feet wet.

Etrac would probably be easier to learn than a V3. Do you use simple photo programs $49, or do you buy Photoshop (the $700 version)? If you prefer simpler, the Etrac would be a better bet. The V3 is a complicated start for a first detector. Being new to the sport, the Etrac would be easier to start with then the SE, The SE only really shines in the hands of an experienced user, the Etrac however, can be very effective if you don't have a clue, right off the bat, straight out of the box.

I agree. I've owned both the SE and now the Etrac and it's definately more user friendly. I also think it's a confidence thing, if you've got a good machine you tend to find more lol

The V3 is yet an 'unproven' machine. It has lots of features, incredible innovation, and is made by one of the best manufacturers in the competitive market, but it hasn't had the field testing experience, yet, the E-Trac has. I own the E-Trac. Use the factory presets and it's no harder to learn than any beep and dig machine. After 100 hours or so you can tweak it, experiemnt with different settings, and you won't have to worry about an upgrade in a year or so. Within the first 6 months of ownership you'll find yourself gradually making small changes to different settings and will see yourself improving your finds. That's not a choice on the cheapy machines. The Minelab Explorer series have a long history of solid hard use with deeper finds than any other machine. Everyone's top of the line machines are good. I am reminded of a Sears marketing program where they labeled similar products, "Good', "Better", and "Best." I think the Explorer group would be with the "Best."