Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox Warranty / Service / Please Read

Richard@BackwoodsDetectors

Findmall Sponsor
[size=large]There have been some rumors in the past that Minelab would not service the Equinox 800 or 600 after the warranty had expired. [size=x-large]THIS IS NOT TRUE[/size]. Minelab will continue to service ALL their detectors as long as parts to repair them are available. As we know, most machines are long out of production before parts become unavailable.. Thanks Richard[/size]

It's nice to see that rumor put to rest!------Thanks for posting that Richard,
Richard@BackwoodsDetectors said:
There have been some rumors in the past that Minelab would not service the Equinox 800 or 600 after the warranty had expired. THIS IS NOT TRUE. Minelab will continue to service ALL their detectors as long as parts to repair them are available. As we know, most machines are long out of production before parts become unavailable.. Thanks Richard

n/t

Richard....... i think some are saying it wont be serviced after warranty.... meaning that few repairs will be done inside the box.

It has been stated numerous times that there really isn't a way for Minelab to repair the head unit. They just replace it. When the warranty ends this becomes an expensive solution. So the solution seems to be what has become standard for most of the electronic industry. Trash it and buy something new.

If replacement of the detector control unit is the only option, then sooner or later someone will find out what this will cost. Slammed in car door, run over, dog chewed - somebody will need a replacement - unless ML decides that accidental damage is covered, the cost will be revealed.

Not yet...... they have been replacing them even if its user issues. One guy ran over his lol. Some will also ask........ if i can get my hands on a coil..... can i just buy the handle/box? Is $500 really to much to pay for replacement on say an 800? Will replacement costs be cheaper for the 600 than the 800? Will this be one of those items they will sell out right if you want it ...... or will you be required to return you defective one for a swap? If you have had this machine for 3 years....... thats a lot of use dont you think? Could make standard coils and accessories avail thou for those who opt to just buy another. I guess we are a long ways from knowing arent we? Ive spent a LOT i mean a LOT of money on machines like the Xcal doing mods and repairs at a crazy price so after 3 years id likely do the swap with no problem....... who knows what maybe out by then too. Dont you think its going to be interesting to see what choices people make? like:

buy a new one and sell off the parts of the other
sell with 1 year left on the warranty and buy new
buy used or start picking up those parts.
do the repair regardless of price

Goodmore...... that will depend on what happens in the next few years with PI research. Things could change in that area leaving VLF behind as the beach hunters choice. You are right thou ..... the machine has growth potential. As far as repairs/replacement we wont know much for a few years when the warranties start running out. Right now..... ML really seems to be finding the repeat problem and fixing it.

dewcon4414 said:
Not yet...... they have been replacing them even if its user issues. One guy ran over his lol. Some will also ask........ if i can get my hands on a coil..... can i just buy the handle/box? Is $500 really to much to pay for replacement on say an 800? Will replacement costs be cheaper for the 600 than the 800? Will this be one of those items they will sell out right if you want it ...... or will you be required to return you defective one for a swap? If you have had this machine for 3 years....... thats a lot of use dont you think? Could make standard coils and accessories avail thou for those who opt to just buy another. I guess we are a long ways from knowing arent we? Ive spent a LOT i mean a LOT of money on machines like the Xcal doing mods and repairs at a crazy price so after 3 years id likely do the swap with no problem....... who knows what maybe out by then too. Dont you think its going to be interesting to see what choices people make? like:

buy a new one and sell off the parts of the other
sell with 1 year left on the warranty and buy new
buy used or start picking up those parts.
do the repair regardless of price

dewcon4414,

Will Minelab come out with a Non-sealed (not weather proof) version of the EQ600/800 ?

Rich -

Rich, i highly doubt it, its all apart of calling it a multi use machine IMO. I think it being sealed will also reduce repairs in the long run. I am curious why you would want a non-waterproof machine.... or is it the sealed part? We can get to what we need to change .... those batteries..... and we dont have to open and close it each time. Now.... will that magnetic charger/data connector hold up for those using it in the salt water? I do expect some tweaks for better performance....... i wouldnt be surprised to see at least 2 more coils.

A few comments about repairs & warranties. My experience is over 40 yrs repairing consumer electronics
at the dealer level, mega warranty stations & a stretch of hard time at Sony factory service.
Minelab at the end of EQ production will build out enough control heads to warranty the last ones & cover
out of warranty service. They may also keep enough "special" parts to make a last run of heads. For that
time they will probably be able to actually build new EQ's. So not to worry.......
Replacing complete heads is the ONLY thing that makes sense. In the end it is the fastest, cheapest,
& most effective way to service it. Otherwise you would need factory trained techs, large inventory of
small parts, ability to do surface mount service. ( I cant due to eyesight & the shakes). And you are never
sure its fixed unless its an obvious problem. How many times have you heard repair stories where a unit
went in 3 times & never got fixed right ? ( if ever)
One last thought. How often do you buy a new car ? Will your new washing machine last for 30 yrs like
the old one ? Hows about that can opener. Did it last 50 yrs ? Not likely, probably more like 5 months.
So if you get 8 yrs out of your EQ800 thats a C-note a year. Compare that with any other major hobby
or pasttime.

enuf fer now
HH Tom
LFOD !

X2
Very insightful comments Tom, one point I would add is waterproofing of these units would be also be a huge concern.
Jeff

TomNH said:
A few comments about repairs & warranties. My experience is over 40 yrs repairing consumer electronics
at the dealer level, mega warranty stations & a stretch of hard time at Sony factory service.
Minelab at the end of EQ production will build out enough control heads to warranty the last ones & cover
out of warranty service. They may also keep enough "special" parts to make a last run of heads. For that
time they will probably be able to actually build new EQ's. So not to worry.......
Replacing complete heads is the ONLY thing that makes sense. In the end it is the fastest, cheapest,
& most effective way to service it. Otherwise you would need factory trained techs, large inventory of
small parts, ability to do surface mount service. ( I cant due to eyesight & the shakes). And you are never
sure its fixed unless its an obvious problem. How many times have you heard repair stories where a unit
went in 3 times & never got fixed right ? ( if ever)
One last thought. How often do you buy a new car ? Will your new washing machine last for 30 yrs like
the old one ? Hows about that can opener. Did it last 50 yrs ? Not likely, probably more like 5 months.
So if you get 8 yrs out of your EQ800 thats a C-note a year. Compare that with any other major hobby
or pasttime.

enuf fer now
HH Tom
LFOD !

Excellent post sir.:clapping:

Had to send a totally dead 800 control unit back for repair or replacement. Was a bit disappointed that no prepaid return label was available from Minelab. $34.00 including sufficient insurance to send back a new in April Equinox 800 is a bit much. By the way have dealt with other manufacturers and their warrantees, Tesoro, Garret, Fisher and have always been sent prepaid label for under warrantee repairs.:shocked:

did you ASK for one?

How does one find out how much warranty is remaining on a used unit? Can't seem to find an answer on any search I've tried.