Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

equinox #s

sube

I did quite a bit of hunting with the nox this year and ctx .

The numbers game here's what I have seen nail that can't be separated from a coin another words a combine signal of the two .The nox reads a Indian and nail at 19 or 20 no difference with nail or not with nail ,nickel nail 14 without 13 , wheat penny and nail 20 or 22 without 24 to 25 ,as the conductor becomes higher say a dime with nail 20 to 21 without 27 quarter nail 25 to 26 without 29 to 30 you can see the dime has the biggest variance which would be right as it is the smallest coin .

Take the same coins with a pull-tab that reads 19 and one that reads 13 Indian and 19 pull-tab solid 19 Indian and 13 pull-tab solid 19 , nickel and 19 pull-tab solid 19 nickel and pull-tab 13 and nickel solid 13 , wheat penny and 19 pull-tab solid 20 wheat penny and 13 pull-tab solid 18 , dime and 19 pull-tab solid 19 dime with 13 pull-tab solid 16 , quarter and 19 pull-tab solid 23 quarter with 13 pull-tab solid 29 .

Now some hunting I did first signal solid 19 left and right the other way nothing 3 nails with a Roosevelt dime one nail on each side of dime and one on the other end the dime was on edge between the nails it was 1 1/2 inches deep . Second target 11 1/2 inch deep barber dime left to right 28 to 38 the other way 28 to 38 there was 2 nails with target but did not change the vid they were not blended with the dime when dime was scan above ground solid 22 this coin was in very good condition .. Third target 1865 Indian penny 7 inches deep solid 17 left and right same the other way out off ground solid 17 the coin was in great shape no iron in hole just a loner .

Some things I have noticed I well get a 20 to 21 vid when the plug is removed the #s would jump to 25 to 31 for wheat's seen this happen often .
Here's another thing I have seen when sweeping a garbled signal - #s and high #s all over the place but on every third swing a 19 would show if you swept the same way you got the 19 it would not show but every third swing I have seen this on the ctx to. Turned out to be a Indian penny at 8 inches with 7 nails in the hole that's with the 6 inch coil now that coin was borderline on how far the 6 would see it but it would snag it every third swing .

So giving the example above that 19 I was getting was not a false a false would throw a 19 on every swing this being a throw en false not directly under the coil .
So numbers are just a guild it's the signal that has to repeat as for the garbled signal did not repeat but when it showed it was always 19 .

I would like to here what some of the #s you have dug good coins that strayed from the norm .sube

Interesting write up Sube, I have been observing this phenomenon ever since I started using the CTX. It also happens as well with Equinox but it really stands out better with target trace in my mind. When the VDI is askew from where it typically should be I call them Benders. These oddities can be caused by any combinations coke, nails, other non ferrous targets. I have found some super finds behind other hunter because they only dig cookie cutter VDI's. Just like Digger says "You never know what a target is till you get it out of the ground" I feel sorry for guys who hunt with a coin chart on a piece of paper instead of listening to their detector, audio rules.
JMO
HH Jeff

In the US the coins are mainly milled coinage and they are seen as pretty consistent VDI numbers on a detectors,so i guess this is why folks are so fixated on using a detector screen,but here in the UK our hammered early coinage alas does not give a consistent VDI reading as the silver/gold content can vary by a massive amount due to the amount of these metals around at the time,so the VDI number can vary by a massive amount.

This is why i never rely on a screen for making a dig/no dig decision,audio is and always will be king,also the audio signal is far more reliable that what any screen can provide,silver hammered coin and also gold to some extent can come in the foil range,so if you had knocked out foil then you will also guarantee to knock out these desirable silver hammered coins.

For me i rely mainly on 2 things the machines audio which for the most part is so much more reliable than what any screen is and also the audio threshold hum as that can give you some indication that something is much deeper than what the TID and audio signal can give,albeit the audio threshold cannot indicate if the deep target is good or bad that you can only find out once you have dug the target out.If you take the chance and walk past one of these whisper audio threshold signals it could be a find of a lifetime,that of course is the choice the detectorist takes...........me personally these targets have to come out.

Mega said:
In the US the coins are mainly milled coinage and they are seen as pretty consistent VDI numbers on a detectors,so i guess this is why folks are so fixated on using a detector screen,but here in the UK our hammered early coinage alas does not give a consistent VDI reading as the silver/gold content can vary by a massive amount due to the amount of these metals around at the time,so the VDI number can vary by a massive amount.

This is why i never rely on a screen for making a dig/no dig decision,audio is and always will be king,also the audio signal is far more reliable that what any screen can provide,silver hammered coin and also gold to some extent can come in the foil range,so if you had knocked out foil then you will also guarantee to knock out these desirable silver hammered coins.

For me i rely mainly on 2 things the machines audio which for the most part is so much more reliable than what any screen is and also the audio threshold hum as that can give you some indication that something is much deeper than what the TID and audio signal can give,albeit the audio threshold cannot indicate if the deep target is good or bad that you can only find out once you have dug the target out.If you take the chance and walk past one of these whisper audio threshold signals it could be a find of a lifetime,that of course is the choice the detectorist takes...........me personally these targets have to come out.
Amen Brother!!
Especially the part about the threshold. I have even gone as far as playing with Pitch Hold on my CTX to pick out the extremely deep targets.
On my last UK hunt I was able to snag a couple Saxon Sceats, the vdi on the second one was less than half of the first in the ground and out.
Cheers
HH Jeff

Sube, I can remember digging a toasted large cent where the TDI was 21 and 23 but the sound was there for a solid coin. I was surprised to see that come out of the hole and it was only two inches down. It wasn’t a solid quarter sound you might expect for a large copper disk it was more of a tunnel sound, like a hallow echo.

I don’t remember the numbers on the four silver coins I hit at 7 to 9 inches down - they were all spread apart and slanted a bit. I went over the area several times trying for a good number but it was probably low 20s, don’t remember. Three quarters and a merc and one wheat cent. Crazy for sure - we all need to listen for tones and as you said try several sweeps and rotate 90 to get a better feel.

Tony NJ