Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

equinox gone crazy

jhamner

HELP!! I brought my equinox 800 on vacation today expecting to do some beach detecting, but when I turned it on, it was extremely unstable with numbers jumping all over the place and constant noise changes, I re-set it to factory preset and noise cancelled, but it is still going crazy! Any suggestions--I'm desperate to get out and do some detecting, but the instability is preventing me from doing this! Thanks!!!

really hard to give you a solid answer. Have you tried in multiple locations? You could have bad EMI where you tried. Have you double checked that your coil is attached correctly and firmly? Is the problem at the detector or the headphones? Is the location full of black sand or other minerals? Did you try lowering your sensitivity? You said the beach, did you have it in beach mode? multi? single frequency? Was the beach just loaded with garbage?

Lots of variables that we don't know.

Good news--the last time I turned it on, stability had seemed to return. Hopefully this will last! Thanks, Would still like suggestions if this happens again though!

Jason in Enid said:
really hard to give you a solid answer. Have you tried in multiple locations? You could have bad EMI where you tried. Have you double checked that your coil is attached correctly and firmly? Is the problem at the detector or the headphones? Is the location full of black sand or other minerals? Did you try lowering your sensitivity? You said the beach, did you have it in beach mode? multi? single frequency? Was the beach just loaded with garbage?

Lots of variables that we don't know.

Thanks, Jason--I was just in the process of inputting a beach program in the cottage before heading to the beach. I'm sure there are lots of interference features inside, but I have always been able to overcome these before. Coil is in place and tight Beach mode, multifrequency, hadn't gotten to the headphones yet.. I don't know what was going on-numbers flashing all over the place and the little icon with the symbol and + (don't know what this is called) in the top right-hand corner of the screen flashing rapidly.

P.S. Last time I booted it up, stability seemed to have returned for no apparent reason, but I'm glad--hope it lasts!

The flashing icon and + sign is normal, that's what happens until your headphones are paired.

Jason suggested that one of your issues could be EMI -- and that's what I thought it sounded like to me. Then, when you said you were inside, I'm nearly sure of it. Bad EMI results in sounds all over the place, numbers all over the place, etc.

I think you are fine.

Steve

sgoss66 said:
The flashing icon and + sign is normal, that's what happens until your headphones are paired.

Jason suggested that one of your issues could be EMI -- and that's what I thought it sounded like to me. Then, when you said you were inside, I'm nearly sure of it. Bad EMI results in sounds all over the place, numbers all over the place, etc.

I think you are fine.

Steve
O.K. Thanks very much Steve--I will set it up outside tomorrow if it's stopped raining by then! (Thanks for the info about the headphone pairing--I've only had the machine about a month and am still trying to learn it! Hadn't noticed that particular icon before. I think I can now noise cancel, ground balance, set the volume, threshold, sensitivity, iron bias, etc....still playing with some of the advanced settings though,,,I think these will take some time and practice! Again, thanks so much for your help as well as Jason!

I’ve also had this happen on the beach when I was still on Park2 machine went nuts!

Max in VA beach did a video on the Nox going crazy with his phone on, then in airplane mode no EMI.

In my house, I have 2 dimmer switches, if either one of those is on, it’s the worst EMI that I’ve ever seen, nothing overcomes or changes it, even on older Nautilus machines

Hope this helps

Jerry

if you were running in multifrequency, try switching to 40 khz and see what that does.

I had the same thing going on under high tension power lines using multi-freq, and switching to 40 khz quietened it down beautifully.

I don't know whether or not Wi-Fi adversely affects the Equinox, but if you were close enough to the hotels to pick up Wi-Fi interference, that might be a possibility.

Others more knowledgeable than I might know the answer to this one: if cellphone signal is lost, and your cellphone starts searching for a signal, can that affect the Equinox?

If it happens like that again, try running through the different modes to see if they show more or less interference, and lastly,

Hope this helps, and good luck. :drinking:

jtalley007 said:
Max in VA beach did a video on the Nox going crazy with his phone on, then in airplane mode no EMI.

In my house, I have 2 dimmer switches, if either one of those is on, it’s the worst EMI that I’ve ever seen, nothing overcomes or changes it, even on older Nautilus machines

Hope this helps

Jerry
It does, Jerry, and thanks very much!

Greg (E.Tn) said:
if you were running in multifrequency, try switching to 40 khz and see what that does.

I had the same thing going on under high tension power lines using multi-freq, and switching to 40 khz quietened it down beautifully.

I don't know whether or not Wi-Fi adversely affects the Equinox, but if you were close enough to the hotels to pick up Wi-Fi interference, that might be a possibility.

Others more knowledgeable than I might know the answer to this one: if cellphone signal is lost, and your cellphone starts searching for a signal, can that affect the Equinox?

If it happens like that again, try running through the different modes to see if they show more or less interference, and lastly,

Hope this helps, and good luck. :drinking:
Yes, we're right in the middle of a bunch of cottages, motels, hotels, and all other sorts of interference. Thanks for the heads up--40 khz DID quiet the machine down!