Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox died doing update

sumrtym

My Equinox failed the update and won't power on. I contacted Mineelab through customer service link and after some back and forth got an RMA number and told to send it to PA for diagnosing and options / charges?

I'm obviously under warranty (registered with them early this year). Did you guys also have to pay return shipping???

Hi I had a problem with mine just stopped would not power on they send a prepaid shipping label you send in controller and coil more than likely if under warranty you will receive a new control unit I got mine back in six days.
Mark

This has happened to a few people. I have heard that some have been able to follow a set of instructions that get it to come back and re-begin the update, then everything is good. I dont know what the steps are but supposedly they are listed on the Minelab website. Maybe someone else here can give you the link. It hasnt worked for everyone though. If you do have to send it in, hope you get a fast turnaround.

I just saw another one quit working tonight on a youtube video. I know this is at least the second one this particular person has had to die.
Minelab has pretty good technology but their quality is really poor in my opinion.
If you want to hunt with an Equinox you really need to send about 1900 dollars.
Two detectors and two new shafts.
That's just my opinion cause that's what I've spent on it.
I'm going to start looking really hard at a nokta if they come out with a simultaneous multi frequency detector.

I've been suspecting for some time, that a dirty magnetic data/charging cable can cause an interruption/corruption in the Equinox update process.
That, of course, would create a corrupt firmware, and quite possibly 'brick' the device.

My advice to everyone updating, is to make sure the connector pins/pads are clean, well connected .... and be sure not to disturb/bump the cable during the actual update portion.

The exact same thing (corruption/bricking) happens to computers, phones, routers, cameras, and other firmware update-able devices if the update process is interrupted due to a bad connector.

Is there someone else I should contact about getting this sent in? Any contact information for under warranty and prepaid label? Seems like people had talked about someone specifically on the forums on these repairs.

I'm just not enthused by my interactions so far by the customer service email. Only a bit of time left to hunt before it's too cold to do so.

Weird that they would have a bootloader design that can be permanently damaged. Try someone else’s cable and/or pc maybe.
Does the pc still see it as a usb device?

UPDATE...FIXED!!!

So based on the comment above about instructions for retrying the update, I found that even though the detector appears completely dead (black screen, won't respond to key presses, metal objects, etc.), if you reconnect with the MUU running and press power button, even though it doesn't come on, the software sees it and can retry the update! Happily it took this time!

Maybe this can help someone else as well!

sumrtym said:
UPDATE...FIXED!!!

So based on the comment above about instructions for retrying the update, I found that even though the detector appears completely dead (black screen, won't respond to key presses, metal objects, etc.), if you reconnect with the MUU running and press power button, even though it doesn't come on, the software sees it and can retry the update! Happily it took this time!

Maybe this can help someone else as well!

Awesome! :thumbup:

Glad to hear it .... and thanks for letting us know.
:)
mike

trojdor said:
I've been suspecting for some time, that a dirty magnetic data/charging cable can cause an interruption/corruption in the Equinox update process.
That, of course, would create a corrupt firmware, and quite possibly 'brick' the device.

My advice to everyone updating, is to make sure the connector pins/pads are clean, well connected .... and be sure not to disturb/bump the cable during the actual update portion.

The exact same thing (corruption/bricking) happens to computers, phones, routers, cameras, and other firmware update-able devices if the update process is interrupted due to a bad connector.

As long as the magnetic contacts are clear of debris or metallic sand or shavings, it would not cause any interruptions. However, I see no reasons for Minelab to add a magnetic contact to the Equinox, specially one to be used in places where sands with metallic particles exist (some gold fields, and even beaches with black sands, for example) a better idea would have been to incorporate a standard USB port with a cap to keep trash out, much like most digital cameras. Also, the Minelab charging cables are too thick and stiff in cool to cold weather.