Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox 600 Ground Balance Confusion

fastdraw

I've only had my Equinox-600 a few months, and even after reading the owners manual, I'm confused..!
I always Auto Noise cancel first, then use the AUTO ground balance method..., and then use the Auto tracking.

SO.... if I move to another location miles away, do I need to ground balance all over again..? Shouldn't the auto tracking
function automatically ground balance to my new location..? So... I should never need to ground balance ever again..?

Totally depends on your local conditions...

Unless your ground is heavily mineralized, you're probably just wasting time ground balancing, and you're potentially losing faint targets with auto tracking.
Lots of guys hunt with the default of 0 GB, and do just fine.

If your ground happens to be mineralized (like mine) , and you need to do a GB (like I do)....the auto method works great.
However, I personally never use auto tracking on any detector, but that's because I'm only interested in deeper coins....and don't want them tracked out.

From page 40 of the manual:
"The default Ground Balance setting of 0 is recommended for Park, Field and Beach Modes because these locations typically have less mineralisation than goldfields. However, if the ground is generating many noise signals (and/ or the Sensitivity level is set very low), then using Auto Ground Balance is recommended "

PS - Welcome to the forum. :thumbup:

Totally depends on your local conditions...

Unless your ground is heavily mineralized, you're probably just wasting time ground balancing, and you're potentially losing faint targets with auto tracking.
Lots of guys hunt with the default of 0 GB, and do just fine.

If your ground happens to be mineralized (like mine) , and you need to do a GB (like I do)....the auto method works great.
However, I personally never use auto tracking on any detector, but that's because I'm only interested in deeper coins....and don't want them tracked out.

From page 40 of the manual:
"The default Ground Balance setting of 0 is recommended for Park, Field and Beach Modes because these locations typically have less mineralisation than goldfields. However, if the ground is generating many noise signals (and/ or the Sensitivity level is set very low), then using Auto Ground Balance is recommended "

PS - Welcome to the forum. :thumbup:
Guess I didn't read page 40 close enough..! I also didn't know Auto Tracking can mask targets, so I'll keep it off.

Like trojdor, I live in similar moderate to highly mineralized ground and always do an auto ground balance (some people also call it a ground grab) often more than once if the ground changes or is giving me some noisy feedback. Where I hunt, even a one number change can quiet the Nox down. Since it is a simultaneous multi frequency detector, the Nox is already doing a form of automatic ground balancing in the background in order to get an averaged ground balance between the two or more frequencies in use. If your ground is fairly mild and you don't hear a lot of what sounds like tiny target chatter when you sweep the coil, leaving it on 0 or just doing an auto ground balance right after noise cancelling won't hurt anything for normal turf of beach hunting. Some detectors have preset ground balance or only have automatic tracking with no other options. It is nice to have several options on the Equinox for use in all types of ground conditions. If you are looking for really small targets like micro jewelry, gold prospecting or if you are after super deep targets at the limits of detection, I would definitely do an auto ground balance. It is super easy to do. Also, remember to do an auto noise cancel and auto ground balance when changing modes or at least make sure that every mode you are using is actually on 0 ground balance.

Jeff

Like trojdor, I live in similar moderate to highly mineralized ground and always do an auto ground balance (some people also call it a ground grab) often more than once if the ground changes or is giving me some noisy feedback. Where I hunt, even a one number change can quiet the Nox down. Since it is a simultaneous multi frequency detector, the Nox is already doing a form of automatic ground balancing in the background in order to get an averaged ground balance between the two or more frequencies in use. If your ground is fairly mild and you don't hear a lot of what sounds like tiny target chatter when you sweep the coil, leaving it on 0 or just doing an auto ground balance right after noise cancelling won't hurt anything for normal turf of beach hunting. Some detectors have preset ground balance or only have automatic tracking with no other options. It is nice to have several options on the Equinox for use in all types of ground conditions. If you are looking for really small targets like micro jewelry, gold prospecting or if you are after super deep targets at the limits of detection, I would definitely do an auto ground balance. It is super easy to do. Also, remember to do an auto noise cancel and auto ground balance when changing modes or at least make sure that every mode you are using is actually on 0 ground balance.

Jeff
Since I'm a beginner, your advice is great, and right on the money..! I went detecting today, and used Trojdor's advice. I ran Auto noise in
both Park modes, and then set GB to 0 in both Park modes, It was working great for several hours..... until I got within 50-ft. of a little creek that sometimes
floods the banks. Then I noticed My Nox-600 went very quiet..! Since I'm still learning, I thought I must have pushed a wrong button.
So I did a Auto GB,... and it changed it from a 0 to 8. and BINGO..! it started working again.
So your both right..! Start with 0 GB, BUT... when things go quiet, I need to Auto GB.