Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Elite or Safari

I would say the Safari is a better detector. Of course the price tag is a bunch more also. And when I say better I mean more options and more versatility. It is up to the individual to get the most out of a detector. The Elite is also older in technology. It was replaced by the GT. So it depends on how much you want to spend and what you are going to detect.

My choice between the two would be the Elite.Comparing BBS and FBS is like comparing apples and oranges.The Elite will balance much better and have as much depth with an experienced user.I would go to an Explorer or Etrac instead of the Safari.My problem with the Safari it reminds me too much of the Quattro.The Elite isn't better or vice versa just different. HH Ron

I've played with the Quatro/Safari and it's a dog in many respects. If you want a computerized detector you can buy a used Explorer much cheaper than a Safari. If I'm going the computer route why would I want a "stripped down" Explorer for a more expensive price (than a used Explorer)? Then again, if I was to go to a computerized Minelab again I'd bypass them both and get an Etrac. It's a MUCH better machine in many respects than either one of them, balance just being one improvement over the Explorer.

The Elite being old has naff all to do with things, my old XS2aPro(predesesor to the Elite) will knock the socks of any safari any day(if you know how to use it). Gave it a spin 2 days ago to try to get the battery alarm to go off before i change to lipos as i need to know the exact cutoff voltage, 7 hours i plodded the beach and the damn thing still didn't conk out, i then left it on on the way home and another hour and a half in the shop but it still kept going, the Accucel-6 did a good job on the battery recovery(too good in this case) as i still don't know the exact voltage.

What i will say is if a newcomer to detecting picked up both they may have more luck with the safari at first till they get to know the Sov and its sounds etc.

The finds for my 7 hours, 166 coins and the other stuff mainly silver and SS, only gold was the wedding band its 18k(750)2 tone white and gold color(soz for picture quality)

ROD P said:
Dont know if I should get the gt or the safari?

If I were you I would get the GT.
Why? ... because you already know how to use it and that is a big head start.

Willee

Would be my pick, I would skip the Safari and go for the E-Trac if you can afford it. The GT is a step up from the Elite and you will find if you know your Sovereigns well you will see it has more power and will ID better too than the Elite. You will also see the controls will be in a different place that you are used to as the Elite was the only one they move the controls around and with the GT then went back to where the others were.
I have used all the different Sovereigns and Explorers and now the E-Trac and for Sovereigns the GT is the best followed by the older XS or XS2 with the Elite and XS2a. The Explorers are good with the SE Pro the one I like best and the Quattro the least and now since the E-Trac has come out and used one for a while I feel this is the top dog all the way and has been impressing everyone the more they use it. With any of the Sovereigns and the Explorers you do have to spend the time to know them and they will do well and will impress you and others at what you can find.

Kered, I don't know if I told you or not but I've tested the GT's low battery alarm and it's sounding off right around when the voltage drops to about 10.5 to 10.6 volts. I've checked this several times when I've hit the low battery alarm after using one of my little lipos just to make sure it was consistantly cutting off in the same place, something well above 9V to be safe with not destroying a lipo. Now, as for your machine (even if you had another GT) you are right to check this yourself. Even two identical machines might have slightly different tolerances for LVC (low voltage cutoff, or alarm). However, there is a lot of room for error so I bet you're going to be well above 9V. Still, always safer to find out for yourself.