Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Eagle II with a problem...

Occupant

When I try to turn on my Eagle II, the light over the screen comes on for a second, then nothing. Checking the circuit board, the pass transistor in the power supply section, Q4, gets really hot, really quick and the board is pulling a half amp from the battery pack. Q4 tests good and I don't find any obvious reason for the high current drain. Anyone ever experienced this and have a suggestion on where to look for the problem?

Sounds like you may have a bad regulator in there somewhere giving Q4 an over voltage.

HH,

That is what I was expecting to find, something like a 7805 or 7812 regulator for a linear supply. But, this supply looks like a 'boost converter' with a large coil (inductor) and cap, to change the batt voltage higher or boost a low battery. There is a two transistor chain that drives the base of Q4, and both test as 'good' in the circuit but I may have to look into them a bit deeper. If they are not 'switching' Q4, just turning it on and leaving it on, that may explain the hot transistor and high current draw.