Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

E-Tract vs X-Terra 70, which would you buy

Bluewhisper

I am in the process of trying to decide which machine to buy. I already have an order in the works for an X-Terra 70 with coils for all three frequencies.

Then I started reading this forum and now have second thoughts.

I am faily new to MD. I bought a beginner machine, Bounty Hunter Landstar several years ago, but just before Christmas got it out for the first time. Used it 3 times so far. On first day out found plenty of clad and one SS ring, then on Christmas day took it out and found a man's heavy 10k Gold ring. Needless to say I really do not only want to use a new machine for only coin shooting. I would my new machine to be able to be used for coin, relic and gold nuggets. That is one reason I have started to go with the X-terra 70.

If the E-Tract is a better machine then I would like to know.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If anyone wants to chat I'm up for that too.

D.K. the Bluewhisper

The X-terra is a great machine and I have tried one and was impressed.

The X-terra is great for gold and some folks use them for gold nugget detecting. I would rather have the X-terra if I was looking for gold nuggets.

The E-trac is the machine I have. It is a great machine...not necessarily better than an X-terra. Fits better for the type of hunting I do here in Ohio. Old coins & relics. No nuggets to hunt here in Ohio. More bells and whistles for sure than the X-terra. Not as good on nuggets. Can be used, but the X-terra is better for nugget hunting.

If it has the MInelab name on it, you just can not go wrong.

Enjoy your X-terra. You will not regret getting it.

Thank you for your insight. I may still change my mind, the gold nugget hunting would be a side trip only a couple times a year I am sure.

I know the E-Tract has a learning curve but I may just change my mind and give the E-Tract a real try.

Thank you for taking your time to post a reply to my question. It is very much appreciated.

e

I own both and both are great detectors.

The X-70 is light weight and very easy to use. I haven't had the opportunity to nugget hunt with it yet, but hope to soon. It is also substantially cheaper than the E-trac.

The E-trac is heavier, but balanced well. It is as simple or as complicated (customizable) as you want to make it. I am still using the basic coin or relic programs with minor changes. I also use the auto sensitivity function, so for the most part it is just turn it on, noise cancel and start detecting. The quality and depths of my finds have improved with the E-trac.

The question is how much do you want to spend and how important is nugget hunting?

Good luck with whichever detector you decide to buy and stay plugged in to these forums, there is a wealth of information to be "detected" here.

Ya know, I just don't know right now how important those nugget hunting trips will be. I doubt that they will be all that important.

Thanks for the feed back on both machines.

I will talk one more time with the salesman who helped me before, at least I hope to talk with him today if he returns my call.

Then will decide which machine to get. I know this probably won't be my last purchase but it will be for a long time.

Thank you for your response to my question. I appreciate both of you gentlemen for taking your time and offering your opinions.

Have a great day.

DK aka Bluewhisper

The Extera line of detectors do not have an option for an inline probe. Also no second market coils since the coil takes a special chip and Minelab is not letting other suppliers get this chip. Otherwise it is a good machine.
I had the Ex 70 and traded it in for the Etrac. I am so hooked on an inline probe I couldn't do without it. I really didn't get a chance to give the Etrac much field use before the ground froze but I am confident it will do very well.

Dan

Dan, that is interesting about the coils. I hadn't given much thought to that. I knew about them and was going to order another coil, so that I could cover all 3 frequencies. But didn't realize they were proprietary. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Is there other coils available for the E-Tract?

Concerning the inline probe, how does that work and are there different ones available Dan?

This has been a real eye opener. Thank you to those who have shared about the machines they have and what they think about them and others.

This is very much appreciated.

DK aka Bluewhisper

There are several excellent 3rd party coils for the Explorer/E-Trac - one of the favorites right now is the SEF coil sold exclusively through KellyCo - I have the 12 x 15 and like it. The new Minelab Pro coil is excellent and probably is much better than anything you can get for the Xterra though I've never used that machine. The only in-line probe that's available right now is the X-1, made by SunRay, but available from most dealers. I'm not crazy about the design, but it's the only game in town and it's like night and day hunting with one compared to without one. SunRay also makes 3rd party coils that regarded well. There is at least one other company that makes 3rd party coils...so there's a lot to choose from with the E-Trac (takes the same coils as the Explorer). My vote is to go with the best - an E-Trac with X-1 over the Xterra.

I have read and re-read the testimonials offered here and on other sites concerning the E-Trac. I even went over to the SunRay site and read about the X-1.

I can see from what was shared that many have used both the E-Trac and the SunRay pin-pointer. This forum has helped to shape my thoughts and come to understand just a little the differences of the 2 machines.

I have come to the decision that I will order an E-Trac and will also order a Pin-Pointer from SunRay. I know I will either have to send in the shaft or buy one from them. I may just go ahead and buy the shaft from SunRay that way I'll have a spare shaft.

Thanks everyone for this sharing of your experience and your thoughts.

I appreciate you all very much.

Take care,

DK aka Bluewhisper

I own both and use both about equally. I have tons of coils for both. The Sunray probe on my E-Trac and a Pistol Probe for the X-Terra. I would never want to have to give up either one..but! The nod would definately have to go to the ................I CAN"T DO IT! :shrug:

I feel you are making the right choice with the E-Trac and the Sun Ray probe. I also would highly recommend Andy Sabish book on the Explorer and the E-Trac to help you understand the E-Trac a little easier. It takes time and patience for most and much of the learning curve will be using it and getting some experience with it by digging different targets. Now if you want a X-70 down the road for a back up there has been some great deals on used one on the classified from some of the sponsoring dealers.

Hi Bluewhisper,

I have both, the X-Terra 70 from its day of issue and more recently the E-Trac.

The X-70 is a brilliant and super light weight detector and it soon payed for itself.

Having said that Mr Minelab comes along with the E-Trac and I fell in love with it and now the X-70 is relegated to being the back up machine.

As you are a newcomer dont be blinded by science and all the advanced information from all the wizz kids just put a good programme in it and enjoy.:detecting:Jerry.

I would like to once again thank everyone who responded to my post.

I really did read a lot of reviews for both machines. I do have my order on file with a company and it will probably be next week before I get my machine and all the extra stuff I am ordering. I did include an 6" coil for trashy areas and other uses. I will probably be ordering a Sun Ray Pin Pointer for it too.

I know the learning curve is there and am ready for it. I don't know if there is someone local to me here in Amarillo, Texas, but hopefully I'll find some others here who wouldn't mind detectoring with a newbie.

Y'all keep your coil to the soil and some wind in your face, with the sun to your back.

With Best Regards to everyone,

Don K.

Well, your in the ETRAC forum. I think you would be entering a very bias group to ask wether to buy a 70 rather than a ET....you're so silly.

Bluewhisper said:
I would like to once again thank everyone who responded to my post.

I really did read a lot of reviews for both machines. I do have my order on file with a company and it will probably be next week before I get my machine and all the extra stuff I am ordering. I did include an 6" coil for trashy areas and other uses. I will probably be ordering a Sun Ray Pin Pointer for it too.

I know the learning curve is there and am ready for it. I don't know if there is someone local to me here in Amarillo, Texas, but hopefully I'll find some others here who wouldn't mind detectoring with a newbie.

Y'all keep your coil to the soil and some wind in your face, with the sun to your back.

With Best Regards to everyone,

Don K.

Hope you remembered to order Andy's book. That in itself will act as the best pinpointer you could ever get. If you order it now you may even get it before the Etrac. His book saved me more time learning the machine than I could ever imagine. I had owned the Etrac for awhile already but was still having problems getting up and over that learning curve... With the book you should have a really firm grasp of the machine in your first 3 to 5 outings, maybe sooner. Good luck and congratulations on your new E-Trac.

Sorry I didn't get a reply in sooner to your questions. It looks like they are pretty much answered though. You will NEVER regret the decision to get the X-1 probe. It works both in all metal and discriminate. I started with the S-1 probe on my Minelab Sovereign and not having that capability on the Extera 70 was the biggest reason I sold it.
Dan

Thanks for the response. Yes, I did order the book at the same time I turned in my order. But will be next week probably before I get it. :wiggle::thumbup: At least the ball is rolling. But :cry: So long till it arrives.