Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

e-trac screen question?

Get yourself a "z a g g" screen protector and follow the instructions. It makes a world of difference. The Minelab cover doesn't help much.

I got one of those super-duper screen protectors and for me it made the glare problem worse.
If glare is a huge problem, I just change my search pattern direction (where I'm walking) so the sun isn't at a bad angle and that, for me, has been the best solution.
Some beach hunters have said Polarized sunglasses help with visibility of the screen, but the glare is still there.

I don't pay much attention to the screen anymore, I just listen. But when you want to look at the screen, it can be a pain in the neck.

i am kinda bummed about it you think you wouldnt have to by any more items for a 1500 dollar machine it just doesnt seem fair at all

I am sure cost had its part in the screen. There maybe a solution, however it may push the cost over $2,000.... I am pondering.

I also bought one of the screen protectors and i could not get it to fit right on my detector it seemed to be about an 1/8th
of an inch too big. i have one for my GPS that fit perfect so i don't know what the problem was so i just tossed it in the garbage and
took the 20 dollar loss.

OMG ARE YOU GUYS KIDDING ME ? so what do i do are you saying the screen protector from z--a--g is worthless and dont work ? please tell me ..thanks :stars:

Mine works great!! I can see it perfect any time during the day except direct sunlight shining square on the face. When the sun is like this, even my DFX and X-70 was hard to see when I had them.

I have a z a g g screen protector on my etrac and one on my XS. You may still get some glare, but it's way better than those rain covers. They are excellent on protecting the screen from scratches too. Both of the protectors fit perfect (I have the protector for the screen only not the sides) and are simple to install, by following the instructions that are provided. If you get one and mess it up or it doesn't fit, I would recommend calling the company and talking to someone. I believe they have a lifetime guarantee, so try calling before throwing it away and taking a $ loss. If you read any of these threads about this screen protector, you will find there is a code that will save you some money when ordering, also.

[size=medium]I don't have the screen protector or have I seen it in use. I tried spraying the screen with "Amour All" from the auto store. It did help the visibility for me but also really helped with the dust that seems to be attracted to the screen. That really makes it hard to see for me. I spray it on before I go out each time now. I don't know if it makes it possible to put on the Screen Protector after using the Armour All or not. It's a shame the head on the unit can't be tilted to a convenient spot for each person.[/size]

Anode said:
I also bought one of the screen protectors and i could not get it to fit right on my detector it seemed to be about an 1/8th
of an inch too big. i have one for my GPS that fit perfect so i don't know what the problem was so i just tossed it in the garbage and
took the 20 dollar loss.

I have two E-tracs. I bought one Screen protector with the sides and the thing fit perfectly. Then a friend of mine bought one and it was too big for his screen. He bought only the front protector witout the sides. I bought another E-trac and so i ordered a second protector and sure enough it was too large. I bought only the front protector the second time. I called them and they said they have not heard of a problem with them not fitting. I explained that I had two and the first one was 4.5" across from side to side and it fit great. The second on is 5" across from side to side and it is too large. They are sending me replacement. I will let you know how it goes once it gets here next week. For some reason they have two different protectors for the E-trac. One fits good and one is too large.

As far as glare I still have the glare problem if the sun is in the right spot.

HH,

Dave

Don't think they were telling you the truth. I have had 4 that did not fit and one that was folded when I received it. They keep sending me a new one and finally got one to fit. I have some friends in the same boat.
Once you get the correct size it does not help with the glare but it sure does help with it not getting scratched.
Brooklyn

Looks like people are talking about two different screen protectors.

The slip on dust covers that are available for the E- trac seem to have a problem of being too big or too small. The slip ons have a major problem with glare on the screen.
The clear Vinyl on those type of covers have a problem with glare that cannot be solved no matter what you put on it.
The clear plastic area is uneven and has too much gloss and so sunlight makes it impossible to view the screen in most sunlight. Dust and dirt can slip under this type and scratch the screen and buttons.

The other type of screen cover is a clear plastic self adhesive type. You cannot really tell it is even on. This type of screen cover makes viewing the screen in even mid day sunlight a snap. It protects the screen and buttons on the E-trac from scratches and has a lifetime warranty. That is the type I use and I have no problem at all with glare.

You can find out more about that type of protector by doing a search in this site about screen protectors. There has been much discussion about this on this site.

I was talking about the same screen protector that you are Steve. I take it that we are not supposed to mention them here by name or something as everyone keeps avoiding mentioning that the company rhymes with BAG. They have sent me two different ones and yes they are two different sizes. Sometimes these forum can be so confusing if people are not allowed to mention a companies name next to their post? Am I wrong or is this the case?

HH,

Dave

I would not say the adhesive screen protector is worthless. It does protect against scratches and dirt, BUT for me, it made the glare worse!
I rest my dirty thumb on the flat area next to the shaft and some dirt got under the adhesive screen protector, not a big deal, but unsightly.
Was it worth $20? Not really. I will probably not buy another one.

I find it interesting that so many love the plastic protector and you do not. I guess that to each his own.

I myself use it and love it. As far as dirt underneath, you probably installed it wrong. Glare is not a problem with anyone else who has one of these on their detector.
So you have to ask...why is that you are one of the few that have a problem? I would suggest you ask for your money back. It does have a lifetime money back guarantee.

As far as size goes, there are two different products for Minelab.....the one for the E-trac and the one for the Explorer.

I do not benefit from the sales of the protectors and I am not associated with any company that sells products for metal detectors. All I know is it works and it works well.

I got my replacement screen protector today. The new one they sent was the replacement for the face and sides. Even though I had ordered the Face only one. The face only ones are the ones that are too large for the face. The ones that are packaged in the face and sides are about 1/2" smaller across and fit perfectly. I tried explaining this to them on the phone to help them out, except the lady on the phone had no clue what I was saying. But they took care of me at no cost so I am happy with this.

HH,

Dave