Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

E-trac coil bad. What is the best replacement?

buckrod

My e-trac stock coil went bad and I would like to replace it with a coil that is as good as the stock coil and the same size. What would be a good recommendation?

Thanks for that info. I have heard a lot of positive comments on the self coils. Do you know if the 10 x 12 self is light weight like the stock coil or is it heavy?

The 10x12 SEF is a bit heavier than what you are using (or were using) now . . . . . the 6x8 SEF will give you depth approaching the stock coil and is amazing in trash - I have that on my E-Trac most of the time when hunting coin sites.

I would recommend reading over Bryce Brown's post on the Explorer forum that covers the various coil options since the two detectors use the same coils.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?19,1055627

You can post the same question you have here over there or PM Bryce for a recommendation based on your area and the type of sites you hunt

Hope this helps

Andy Sabisch

I have the 13 inch ultimate, nice coil. noticed that it is alittle heavier but not that noticeable. The only thing I don't like is that it is white and it gets dirty looking and doesn't clean up like new. I know that is nit picking.

I also like my 13 inch ultimate. You can run sensitivity higher and is 1-2 inches deeper. I also use Docs swingy thingy.

No way ever would I trade my stock coil for the 13 inch coil.....it is NOT good at homesites with trash or much iron at all. My hunting partner badjim has one, just ask him how it is to use in yards!

Now if your on a clean ball field it is awesome. If your hunting a lot of yards and parks, go with the SEF coil, the smaller 6x8 is my preference

Goes is dead on. The advantage of a big coil does not translate to every site. First ask yourself what kind of site you hunt the most then pick the coil for that type of hunting. I have several coils, among them the SEF 8x10 and the 10x 12, these are supper coils, However I also hunt with a 14in excellerator on the beach. But if I hit a good spot I go over it with different coils to see if I am missing things. I can tell you that ground moisture, type of ground minerals, all have an effect, and have surprised myself with the smaller coils many times.
In general I would tell you to work the SEF 8x10 but have another coil to bring out after and see what happens.

I have the SEF 6 x 8 on my Etrac right now...I went coin shooting today at one park and a school....dug a fairly small piece of aluminum slaw at just over 12 inches....thought it was a quarter...the SEF 6 x 8 is great.

eek

Saw you metioned you were using the 8x10 and 10x12 SEF coils . . . . . where did you get the smaller coil?

The 6x8 and 10x12 as well as the two larger coils which are just a tad too heavy to swing for very long in my view (the 12x15 and 15x1:geek: were the only ones I have seen . . . . can you let us know where you got the 8x10 as that sounds like an interesting size - smaller than the 10x12 and covers more than the 6x8

Thanks

Andy

I know this might sound dumb but are you sure your coil is bad? I remember one of my treasure hunting partners saying he got some dirt that had some specks of iron in it or something so he took cover off, cleaned it real well and then it was fine.

I have the stock coil, the 13 ultimate , the 5 sunray and the 6x8 sef and I hunt mainly with the 6x8 and the 5 sunray. Most of the places I hunt have been pounded or are old farms. A bigger coil is tough to use in these conditions. The 13 ultimate really works well at beach areas where there is not too much iron. I have found that the 13 falses alot when there is alot of iron. Get a swingy thingy if you get a large coil it will make the hunt more enjoyable.

Thanks to everyone with the comments. First I did clean the coil under the coil cover and still had the same chattering. I put on my joey coil and the chatter went away. I do have a swingy thing for the weight if the detector gets too heavy due to a heavier coil but it feels so uncomfortable or I just have to get used to it. Although from reading the posts I just my end up buying the sef coils 6x8 and 10x12. Probably start out with the 6x8 sef.

8X6 SEF sounds like the coil that might be a good fit for you. I have the 13" Ultimate on mine and have for a while now. For the type of hunting I do it is great and covers a lot of ground. I don't spent much time in trashy parks, but I do spend considerable time in the relic fields and it works great in that application, even in heavy iron...where I run exclusively in TTF.

I will give the 8X6 a try myself this fall, at $146 you just cant go wrong.

Good luck with your decision, and let us know how it works out for you.

LittleJohn

I would go for the baby 6x8" SEF!
Stays on my machine 85% of the time.Big enough to cover larger area,and have excellent pinpoint. Also have the 13" Ultimate.Absolutely a good coil,but a bit heavier,and that is not good.Not so good on trashy ground though.

Mike

hershey1 said:
Great advice Andy. Although I have not used one I have heard good things about the 13 inch Ultimate. HH :minelab:

I have used a lot of coils and my favorite larger coil is the 13" Ultimate. Out of all I have used this one has it's own characteristic that I love. I only ever need to to dig signals that hit good in two directions. If its not solid both ways it's junk. I still try to prove that theory wrong and dig a questionable target but I always lose. I use the Andy S. discrimination pattern most of the time.

OPPS! I mistakenly typed on the wrong size of my coils on a previous post here on this thread... I have a 6x8 and 10x12 . LOL, oh well I think Andy is the only one who caught that, ahh..... at least I hope he was.

sry.