Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

E-trac and sites with rusty tin cans

BigErn

Hi all! I have enjoyed alot of your posts and finds and of course your knowledge on this exciting machine. I dont have an E trac yet...prob by next spring but I am wondering if anybody has any experience with the E-Trac in dealing with rusty tin cans. I have 2 old sites right behind my house that are littered with rusty tin, literally 100s of cans and misc rusty tin slaw everywhere and that just on the surface! Apparently miners and moonshiners had no respect for the land. One site is an old mining camp and the other was a "suburb" of the camp that was used later by moonshiners to make whisky. 2 cool sites indeed but very difficult. Think the E-Trac can handle this job?

take a rake and clean up as much of the suface trash as you can. you may want to take small areas and clean out the trash when you start hunting.

ok i hunted a site just like that. there realy wasnt a spot in there that didnt have rusted tin and rusted cans.
i used a very tight patter i made that just let in silver coins and copper coins and nickels. the screen was almost black with rejected areas.
i used the 11 inch pro coil.
long tones and conductive tone.
sense was at manuel 22 or more and that is an important setting you must run it that high to unmask. trust me on that one setting no matter what they all say lol. hope i dont get bashed for that.
then go so slow in that site that you almost feel like your not moveing and you will find coins if they are there.
i once found a wheat penny inside a rusted tin match box useing those setting in my rusted tin can site. there is a post about it on this forum someplace.
hope that helps.
so yea the e trac can cut threw that site you have but youll be going in slow motion till its cleaned out.
a smaller coil would help and remove as much tin as you can.
tell us how it goes when you get your e trac.

Nice rbholt80...thats the exact kind of info I was looking for! Im keeping that on file for sure. Thanks!

for a site like that. Definitely not an 11". At max the 5x10 joey, preferably the 4.5x7 an 8x6 or something like the 5" Sunray... Places of extreme trash are no place for the stock coil.... Then a snails pace working around the trash...

I totally agree with the others here and would do EXACTLY what they are saying.Definately go with the small coil and take your time.Be carefull what you descriminate out however as there lots of relics that have similar sounds and #'s.Be prepared to dig lots of trash,but the results may be worth it in the end.