Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

durability

findit

what do you think is the durability of these detectors. like to hear your experiences you have had. for example if your swinging and you accidently smacked your coil against a rock can it damage it easily?

Very durable, all top quality parts. Solid well made coils, never got false signals from banging coil. Some creaking at the top on the shaft where it slips into the handle, but a small strip of tape on the male end solves that problem. To protect the toggle switches from getting dirt in, I made some rubbers washer and boots. But I think rubber boots for toggle switches can be found at local electronics stores. See photo in my post from yesterday "CORTES METER RELABLED".

They can take a good share of abuse but you do need to be careful. Repeated hard hits on rocks or other stationary items could crack the coil housing. Scuff covers help. All that said, Tesoro Electronics is the ONLY compnay that offers a Life Time warranty and that right there says a lot about Tesoro machines.

One worry I have is what will happen if my Tesoro cover for my new V fails to keep all the rain out . What measures if any will keep the V running ?

I's say they are probably pretty durable but I wonder how much of a jar they would take.I saw Massey on Gold Fever toss his LST down on the rocks from waist high but then he probably doesn

Kept my Tejon dry and working all day. You need to use care when hunting in wet weather but their covers work quit well.

I'm sure any detector could be damaged by smacking against rocks or such...
My three tesoros have been well used, but never beat ... didn't use 'em to kill a snake or anything like that!
After 15yrs, the first one (my favorite) failed to turn on...
I can say nothing but the best about them.

rmptr

I used to have a Stingray 2 that I used for a few years mostly just for the rain .I used to get that baby covered with mud , then I would just hose it off and wipe it down .
I stopped hunting in the rain as I'm now a little older and feebler than I used to be and my body doesn't take kindly to me slipping and sliding and landing on my rump anymore . I recently sold it to a younger fellow who actually dives with it . It got a good home .
Now when it's not raining , I give it heck with a lightweight Tejon .:)

I'm glad you mentioned that.

I for one am disappointed in the durability of these detectors. Every time I try to prise a large rock, it never fails, the lower shaft breaks.:blink:

After driving the wooden stakes for my test garden with my detector housing, I couldn't even pick up a quarter at 4".:rant:

When I use it for a crutch the darn thing just slips right out from under me.:stretcher:

If you want to dig a hole with it you can forget it. It only digs in sand. I found it works OK for that but the sand keeps falling off the coil when you try to scoop it out of the hole. POOR DESIGNER:nerd:

And they should have put a serrated edge on the coils for cutting roots.:thumbup:

Another complaint I have is that I like to have a dry place to sit down. Every time I sit on My Silver the arm rest breaks and the rod gets bent.:shrug:Not to mention the unpleasant sensation when sitting on that little box.:yikes:

I think we should all write the president and demand these changes be made.:super:

May be one of these days they will get their stuff together. Until then we will just have to suffer through it.:wacko:

Mary Christmas,

If you are gonna use your machine as a chair, you need to buy the large size "padded" arm cup!! No wonder you are breaking it. Didnt you read the manual????

you must have a defective one, because after forgetting my bat mine worked fine after using it at the batting cage. and that was in the fast lane to boot.

Excellent Tabdog! LOL

Actually, I do have a complaint.
When too busy at werk over the summer months one of my Tesoro machine had been in the corner too long...
I guess it kinda leaned over a tad from getting bumped and the plastic lower leg took a set kinda cattywompus.
Took quite a while to get it back to straight by forcing it to lean the other way.

(It was real difficult when bent, holding that detector off handed to the other side so the coil was flat with the ground. Worked fine for going up a sidehill track, though!)

I'm gonna look for that Anderson Shaft guy and see if he's got something in carbon fiber.

Maybe I'm too cautious but can my V work if it gets dunked in water after tripping over one of my own feet ?

It may depend on the time of immersion and water content. As a for instance If you fall while on a boat and go overboard into salt water there is a greater danger of damage being done. If the action takes place while mountain climbing and both you and the detector free fall for several hundred feet, well then I wouldn't think you would have to be concerned because you wouldn't be around to be concerned.

Hi Rmptr,

Is that an older lower shaft?

The lower shaft on my Silver Sabre uMax is made partly of plastic and partly aluminum. It is more flimsy than the newer all plastic ones. I can see how it might get warped like that. I would be supprised if you said it was a newer plastic shaft.

If that's it, it just cost $20 for a new lower shaft.. That could be good excuse to get one of thoes smaller coils.

Cheers,

You should have spent extra and gotten the extra heavy duty super jumbo reenforced model like we did.