Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Dumb stupid questions by onlookers.......

My first post here and I thought I would share something that happened just today....

Here I am out in a local park shooting to make myself rich and a guy comes up and says........Hey I had one of those one time. I found a ring at the beach. A couple questions from me and I knew he was full of it. Then he says........"with all that fancy electronics do they pick up paper bills now?..........I tried to keep from laughing but said.......No but if I see one laying on the ground I'll give it to you....:rofl:

I'm Rosco Bookbinder from Spokane, Wa. I will be famous some day (maybe from Geocaching) but not from metal detecting. Not sure yet what it will be. Ask my brother.

That was a good point ohio fred....I never checked to see if the Canadian paper bills with the foil would be picked up by my detector.
I checked a $10 & $20 bill and it never showed any indication in the all metal mode....but then again I use the 550....

That's not so strange. In the early days Garrett advertised that its detector would find paper money.

One time I was detecting and noticed an elderly lady watching me very intently. Pretty soon she came over and asked me where she could buy a weed eater like mine that ran so quiet.

Bill

This past Saturday on a beach this happened to me as I was picking foil up and putting it in the pouch...

On-looker(on nearby blanket):
"Hey, that must be mine, I think I dropped it right there"

Me:
"Oh? no problem... here you go, I'd rather people threw away their own gum wrappers anyway, I get tired of digging trash".

[quote FrankG]This past Saturday on a beach this happened to me as I was picking foil up and putting it in the pouch...

On-looker(on nearby blanket):
"Hey, that must be mine, I think I dropped it right there"

Me:
"Oh? no problem... here you go, I'd rather people threw away their own gum wrappers anyway, I get tired of digging trash".[/quote]

Well Done, Frank. Love It :bouncy:

Had a guy one time ask me if I was looking for something, I looked at him and said Nope, just exercising/ Heres your sign

[quote tucky_tector]Had a guy one time ask me if I was looking for something, I looked at him and said Nope, just exercising/ Heres your sign[/quote]

Actually, that's what I tell most people -- that the Ace 250 is great exercise, and costs less than gym membership! (With the added bonus of whatever I find!)

While detecting in a litter strewn, vandalized city park filled with crack heads & hookers an individual asked me "Isn't that illegal?"

Not the same park I'm sure since this one was in Coeur d'Alene Idaho. Working around the park in the grass I got a good hit on the silver side. Poked around and found something so used my pick to pull it out. Got the chain on the pick and here's what was attached to it. Pretty cool for sure......
Rosco

So there I was near the bathrooms at a campground. A guy comes out while I'm digging a coin and asks "GAS LEAK"? Nah, just doing some metal detecting...............DUH..............

[quote awhitster]So there I was near the bathrooms at a campground. A guy comes out while I'm digging a coin and asks "GAS LEAK"? Nah, just doing some metal deecting...............DUH..............[/quote]

I haven't been asked about a gas leak, but several times "You work for the city?":rage:

I should answer "If I worked for the city there would be 3 other guys standing there watching me":lmfao:

[quote Dick from IA][quote awhitster]So there I was near the bathrooms at a campground. A guy comes out while I'm digging a coin and asks "GAS LEAK"? Nah, just doing some metal deecting...............DUH..............[/quote]

I haven't been asked about a gas leak, but several times "You work for the city?":rage:

I should answer "If I worked for the city there would be 3 other guys standing there watching me":lmfao:[/quote]:clapping: GOOD ONE, I think I will use that someday. :clapping:

I was asked just the other day if I was with the gas company?
"Nope," I said,"but I got some if you want."

The guy just looked at me. I guess he missed it...

Ive had lots of kids ask me if they can have what I find. I always say, "Sure," which lights their eyes right up. Then I dig deep into the trash side of my pouch and hand them a wad of foiltabcaps.
"There you go," I say.

They look at it and then usually just wander away, bewildered.

While this is sorta fun, in a mean way, they usually drop the stuff before I can shoo them towards the nearest trashcan - then I have to pick it up again. SO now I just give then a pulltab or two. Same result, though.

Once, a lady asked me if they were in danger and why didnt someone from the government warn them about it?

"Huh?" I said.
"Well, they wouldn't have you out here lookng for radioactivity with that geiger counter, if there wasnt something wrong, would they?"
"Uh, I guess not, ma'am. Everythings fine, near as I can tell," was the only thing I could think of to say.
"Well, good. We wouldnt want anything to happen to the children, or the environment!"

She probably believed that Buzz Aldrin buried Jimmy Hoffa on the moon, too.