Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Dry docks in Boston Harbor........

Ron J

In case you don't know what a Dry dock is,I'll describe it alittle bit.Its one heck of a hole in the ground,with a giant door at one end,which opens to flood the area.Average length 1000 foot long,80/100 wide,50ft? deep.A vessel is then brought in,strategically set in position,and then the entire hole is pumped out,leaving the ship high and dry on blocks.The blocks can be the size of your car! Boston Harbor has the distinction of having Dry dock #1,built in early 1800's,at the Charlestown Navy Yard.Currently part of Natl Park service,home to the Constitution.[attachment 50986 Constitution026.jpg][attachment 50987 Constitution023.jpg][attachment 50988 Constitution036.jpg]This drydock is used when ever Old Ironsides,gets restored.In the last hundred yrs,that would be 4 times? Dry dock #2 (General Ship)hasn't been used in awhile.The last time it was used,maybe 10yrs ago,was to build tubular cylinders,which were actually sunk in the harbor,welded together,to become an underwater tunnel,as part of THE BIG DIG. Here is a photo from my little boat ride a week or so ago,while visiting the Kennedy.[attachment 50990 USSKENNEDU010.jpg] Lastly is Drydock #3,which is actually quite active. The first time i knew of it was about 15 yrs ago.The Queen Elizabeth II had struck a ledge near Martha's Vineyard.She was not seaworthy,so she was brought into Drydock #3.Prior to this the dock was abandoned for years.Read in the newspapers back then,they were searching for former employees,to learn how to open the seagate! I had been in Boston for an Oldies Concert,at the Wang Center.When it was over,past 11;00 at night,i drove over to see Her. The ship was lit up like it was at sea. Reminded me of an old war movie,sparks flying from torches,patching the hull. Next i visited in in 1989? The Battleship Massachusetts was dry docked for hull inspection,and repairs,for the first time in almost 40 years!They also removed the two outer propellers,which i posted a few weeks ago.[attachment 50989 Constitution111.jpg][attachment 50990 USSKENNEDU010.jpg][attachment 50991 USSKENNEDU038.jpg]The week before i visited the Kennedy,i took these two shots,while snooping! The sister ship of the hospital ship "HOPE",was drydocked the following Thursday.This is the "COMFORT".She had just returned from New Orleans.She is actually in that "hole" in the photo on the left above her. Notice the blocks on the bottom of the pit,all lined up,getting ready to sit her on.

it is located about a few minnits from my house,it is C.H.Cates & Sons Wharf and Tugs,it is still here but was taken over by a Washington Company.We also have a very long history of shipyards in our city.Our waterfront is now being developed into the usual condo's etc.We have ferries that cross our inlet from one city to another,it's a short ride maybe 18 minnits.During the war years many of the woman worked in the shipyards.My buddy worked for Cates,he retired recently.See you keep posting :)[attachment 51019 Untitled-Scanned-01.jpg]
ps remember the mountain scene I posted awhile back,you can see them here also

n/t

n/t

after serving 25 years in the Navy, I'v spent alot of time on ships going through over-hauls in dry docks. At one time, I spent 14 months on an Aircraft Carrier in dry dock. Nice pictures though.