Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Dredging.....part 1-2-3-4

Ron J

[attachment 77547 DredginginBeverlyharbor143.jpg]This little adventure takes place, right in my own "backyard". It may take a few posts to describe with photo's of course! It may get boring,maybe not! :confused: I have lived in Beverly all my live, either on the Bass River, or the last 30 yrs, on the Danvers River. Never thought of it as a big deal. As i mentioned before, growing up,been on the water in somekind of vessel, since i was 5 or so. Been in Rowboats, Oversize inner tubes, Lobsterboat, hydroplanes, cuttycabins, etc. Never a sailor though. You need to "know" the river, just as any waterways, low water areas,rocks, mussel beds, and most important the Channel! Over the years, the rivers get shallower, from silt,mud,debris. Eventually they need to be dredged, that is to removed tons & tons of silt. This mud/silt is contaminated material, from road run off, sunken boats, releasing oil,gas etc. So there are toxins in the dredged material. I'am no expert on this, but read it many times over the years, cause every city or town, with Marina's or boatslips need it done, sooner or later. Trouble is it's very expensive! Takes years to get permits, State, Federal, Corps of Engineers, local gov't, agencys, Environmental etc. This list grows as long as your arm and then some. You need to get rid of it somewhere also! Can't just dump it anywhere you feel like. You also need to worry about crabs,fish,eels,worms,mussels, perrywinkle's, and every creepycrawler that lives,feeds,poops,migrates,mates,etc. So can you understand why it takes years to get permits? And any town/city lucky enough to get the $$, and the permits, may be fortunate to not need dredging for another 20 or 30 years. This dredging started a little over a month ago,after a lengthy process, of the permits, then bidding for the right contractor. Then the Contractor who lost the bidding, sued for unfair practice, and finally that got squared away. The Contractor that did win, has a limited time period to finish the job,period. No extensions, because of spawning season for certain fish,or sea life. The dredging takes place around the corner,from where i live. The Porter River,and The Crane River, both located at the end of the Danvers River, bordering both sides of where the Big Blast took place a little over a year ago. The Contractor has two bridges to contend with, the Kernwood Bridge, and the "T" Railroad bridge, plus a channel, that is indeed not in a straight line, curves like a snake. The dredgers work kind of around the clock, because of the tides. The bridges caused a small problem. The larger scows they would fill,were too large to fit thru the pilings. So they ended up with 3 smaller barges, constantly rotating,being filled, one at a time. When a barge gets filled,depending on the tide,it gets pushed down river,thru the bridges,into Beverly Harbor,where the larger Scow is located. Once the Scow is filled,it is towed out 14 miles into Massachusetts Bay, to a specified location for dumping,then returned to be refilled. To hear a tug, or pilot boat rumbling at anytime of the day or night is not unusual now. This is where it sort of begins,once the equipment has been put in place. I need to mention,every mooring in the rivers,had to be removed.Notice the loader is bolted down to the barge! You should see that whole platform twist,as the bucket is filled,and lifted![attachment 77542 DredginginBeverlyharbor138.jpg][attachment 77543 DredginginBeverlyharbor137.jpg] [attachment 77544 DredginginBeverlyharbor141.jpg] [attachment 77545 DredginginBeverlyharbor134.jpg]

off the barge. About the only way to stay in one place. The last ones I saw were on big screws. Once they stab in the bottom its a pretty stable platform to stay on target. I remember here on summer, they were dredging up by the sub base. Just above the base they had alot to move in silt also. Rather than take it out to sea, they decided to pump it into a big valley, just north of the sub base but on their property. It worked well, except between the mud, silt, dead fish and what have you, did that place stink for a full summer. It got so bad that the homes close by, it actually peeled the paint off the homes. It now is hard ground and they have built a big storage area on it and a nice hobby shop for the guys at the sub base. I see they pump it now also down in the southern beaches on the east coast. The big storms strip off the sand, so they bring in big barges with pumps and pump it back on the beach's about 10 feet deep and then move it around with dozer's. Quite and operation... I see they built an entire island in Dubai I think with a big hotel on it and pumped in sand for the land after they outlined it with rip rap of big stones.... Will that silt removal give you a deep water slip now or more than what you had?

Geo-CT

my house is at the end of a cove. Low tide,no water, i have about a 3 hr window, before high and low tide to get in/out. They are dredging mud. In fact, the location i was standing on,is where they dumped on dry land, as you stated. Same thing..that was a little over 20 yrs ago. There is a playground on the premises now.

weekend. You could dig a channel to your dock, fill in on the sides for more land and have a deep water port out to the channel. I'd even come help you. When I was at Fort Sumter in SC I was wondering how many unexploded cannon balls there must be on the bottom. There was still some stuck in the walls there......... I took a picture of one in the wall but I just looked and unless youi knew it was there you would never see it... Here is a shot of what it must of been like.... Neat place to go if your ever down that way.

The second picture is what its looks like now from inside. A lot lower.....

Picture 3 is what it did look like.... They pretty much leveled it.....

Geo-Ct

must be lotsa goodies lost in the slips! Great pics!

They must be fairly fast, what with time and tide constraints.

Fair winds

Mikie

must keep the people in the dredging business busy.they dredged dallas' biggest inner city lake using a suction type dredge,there isn't any hard rock there,mostly clay.they filled up a bunch of dump trucks hauling it off.i think its about an 1100 acre lake,but they don't allow motorized boats on it.

When i ride over the bridge, which isn't daily, they either have an empty, waiting for pick-up,another being emptied, or the large Scow is gone...

...Caught the "Emily Anne" pushing this barge out on the river,early Sat. Morning.Tides coming in,about half tide here. The "Big Whizzer" up front,ready to help guide the barge thru the Kernwood Bridge. Thats Kernwood Country Club, in the background.[attachment 77654 DredginginBeverlyharbor080.jpg][attachment 77655 DredginginBeverlyharbor082.jpg] As the barge is starting to come out of the other side, the " Big Whizzer" is waiting to push the barge to the right, to keep it in the channel.[attachment 77656 DredginginBeverlyharbor092.jpg][attachment 77657 DredginginBeverlyharbor096.jpg] Almost caught between the pilings! Notice all the empty moorings? No traffic,cause of the season.[attachment 77658 DredginginBeverlyharbor097.jpg] Next obstacle, the Railroad bridge! [attachment 77659 DredginginBeverlyharbor101.jpg]

n/t

Once the barge was thru the Kernwood Bridge, i drove over to the Beverly / Salem Bridge, span to get a good view, and to catch it going thru the Beverly Draw. Two weeks ago, the barge supposedly hit the Draw bridge, leaving it out of commission for a couple of days! There are hundreds of people who commute on that line, from Newburyport,and Rockport. They weren't too happy about that. All trains from the North halted in Beverly, and the people had to be bused to Salem Depot, and vice-versa. The News said ,the barge struck the bridge, but scuttlebutt,has it, that the bridgetender started to close the bridge to soon,and struck the barge! Who knows, it was an extremely foggy night. Here she comes....[attachment 77660 DredginginBeverlyharbor104.jpg] How's this for a view?? [attachment 77661 DredginginBeverlyharbor105.jpg] "Big Whizzer" first,ready to help guide the barge,and to block any possible traffic.[attachment 77662 DredginginBeverlyharbor113.jpg] Getting closer...............[attachment 77663 DredginginBeverlyharbor115.jpg] Closer....[attachment 77664 DredginginBeverlyharbor118.jpg] halfway there....[attachment 77665 DredginginBeverlyharbor122.jpg]

[attachment 77666 DredginginBeverlyharbor126.jpg] Piece of Cake!![attachment 77667 DredginginBeverlyharbor127.jpg] My money is with the Tug Captain! Had to be the Bridgetender who hit the barge last time!! [attachment 77668 DredginginBeverlyharbor132.jpg] [attachment 77669 DredginginBeverlyharbor133.jpg] The next two pictures are just to show,where the barge would be exiting from.Both taken at an earlier date..[attachment 77670 DredginginBeverlyharbor038.jpg] [attachment 77671 DredginginBeverlyharbor039.jpg]

n/t

This is where the barge's are being rotated to, for unloading, and filling the large Scow, the "Joe Verrochi" from Boston.[attachment 77757 DredginginBeverlyharbor059.jpg] When it has been filled, it is then towed out to Massachusetts Bay, 14 miles, and dumped in a specific location. Some of these scows have bottoms that open like trap doors, to empty the sludge. Look closely,as it appears, this unit splits open in the middle. The humps on each end appear to be hinged. Interesting...[attachment 77759 DredginginBeverlyharbor054.jpg] They were using the large red crane, for transferring the sludge,but it was too slow. They brought in the yellow unit last week, on a barge,and unloaded to the platform you now see. Its a lot faster! The sludge must be pretty thick,and heavy. notice the barge leaning?[attachment 77758 DredginginBeverlyharbor065.jpg] Here's a strange looking unit...Notice in the upper picture,how this little tug,is pushing the Scow tight,while loading? [attachment 77762 DredginginBeverlyharbor070.jpg]They are trying not to have too much spillage.[attachment 77760 DredginginBeverlyharbor021.jpg] This is the pilot boat,"Alex D." that transfers the workers,from the docks,and equipment. This is a loud son of a gun, sounds like straight exhaust, rumbling going up the river, specially in the middle of the night!![attachment 77761 DredginginBeverlyharbor036.jpg] And there you have it! Haven't caught the Scow being towed out yet, but i will!! RJ

n/t

"How's this for a view ??" is especially beautiful when it is enlarged. Man....that's some beautiful scenery !! A while back I had posted about the time I was wandering around in a tiny canal by myself (big dummy) and started to sink in that sludge. Went down to my waist and thought for sure I was a goner ! And did that sludge ever STINK ! Do you guys get any odor from what they're bringing up from the bottom ? Just curious. Great pictorial !:thumbup: