Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Double Walker Proptery Produces Again!

metaltaylor4

Went back to where I found 2 Walkers in one hole and the 1890 Indian, and had just as much of luck today. After about 7 hours of detecting, me and my dad found several relics including 2 old locks, A "U.S." and a Corbin lock. We need help identifying some of the other objects if you have any idea let us know. As for coins, the big find of the day was the 1864 2 cent. We had a higher signal, wasn't sure if it was a coin or not but decided to dig anyways because the place is a goldmine for coins. We pinpointed inside and it the signal just got louder and louder. After only about 6 inches we popped it out and it was in great shape. Later in the day we ended up finding a 56 Rosie and a 41 Merc. We also found a 1943 P War Nickel along with a plain1940 nickel. We are still debating on whether to put the 2 cent piece and the 1772 King George III half penny in olive oil. Because these coins are so old should we leave them as they are?

I can't offer any info on the cleaning, but I will say... YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT :clapping: ... That is one amazing site you and your dad have... Keep em' coming...

HH Robert

Those are some real nice finds. You've got a real winner of a site. I don't recommend using olive oil since this is a food product and can break down over time. I use Coin Care which is made by Betterbilt Chemicals in La Verne, CA. It comes in a small 1 oz. bottle and many coin shops sell it or you may be able to get in over the Internet. It leaves a nice coating on the coin that won't break down. It does usually darken a coin a little (which most oils do). I know that high end coin collectors use it on their early US copper coins. HH

What a nice 2 cent coin hope too hope too find one this summer wtg metaltaylor5 :thumbup:

Thanks guys. Historical prospector, we have been digging almost anything that sounds good, no matter what depth. Even for the countless tab signals, I already pulled a 43P silver, a 40' nickel, and a 1923 Buff since I've been on the property. We don't want to miss a thing! :crazy:

Nice finds ! Two centers don't show up that often. This month I found two (1867 & 1865) about a week apart but in the same location. Before those it's been a few years since the last. I think you'll find that cleaning the two cent piece won't be as difficult as the large coppers - I think they are bronze and don't deteriorate as badly as the coppers.
Could be wrong, I don't have a coin book with me.
Bruce in Ct

Hey Metal,
That 2 cent is a SWEET find! I have only found one and it was in my grandmothers coins. I also found two halfs in the same spot last week...and one barber half a few days before that...Man were on a roll. That is a great spot your hunting in and I bet your having tons a fun.
Thanks for sharin.
utahshovehead

Drkp8 nice score on 2 of them :thumbup: And I think you're right about the bronze because the condition is just as good as my indians and yet its 146 years old. Shovelhead, my next goal is definitely a barber half and yes lady luck has been with all of us! Happy Hunting

Nice finds!

For some reason it seems like 2-centers come out of the ground in good shape quite often. (Only noticed that after I found one.)

Pic of the KG III?

Thanks Blackx, heres the link to my King George Post. On Wikipedia, it says the makeup of the 2 cent coin is "95% copper with tin and zinc making up the remainder". Maybe the tin has something to do with it??

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?19,1174675

Nice finds. Love the 2-cent piece. It is a cool coin.