Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

double tail half dollar

Buddysox

Today I saw my 89 year old mom and we had lunch. She had told me that she had a bunch of old coins she found in her closet collected over the years, she wanted me to look at them and see if any were worth anything. With Redbook in hand I went over them and found several walking halves and nickles that were worth probably 2-3 hundred each. Nice for her. But what really sent me for a loop was what appeared to be a double tails sided Kennedy half. The coin has the presidential seal on both sides! no year or mint mark. I then got my magnifiers and was able to see that one side had an unusual ridge around the entire edge. It was as if another "tails' side was pressed on over the 'heads' side. Except for the almost invisible ridge around that side you could not see a difference in both sides. The only other thing was that the sides were not aligned, the added side was at an odd angle, not really obverse as should be. This coin seems to be one that has had the "heads side covered over. A very good job I might add and not apparent to the casual eye. I was not able to get a picture. camera at home. The coin is a clad and appears genuine except for the added side.
Why would anyone want to do this?
I remember there have been various coins made this way to win a "flip"but they were just novelty coins. This was very well done. I will try and get some pics next time. In the meantime I would sure appreciate any comment by you coin masters. What is it? Why?

Check out this site about double headed coins. www pcgs com and search for double headed coins. (I sold a lot of theses coins in the past, had a magic shop)

To all who read the above post Magicman was right on! It is a magicians coin. They are very well done. Look for a very slight ridge around one side. Otherwise it looks like a genuine coin.

Glad to help. :bouncy: