Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Don't Throw Away Anything You Find.!

fastdraw

I've only been detecting 13 months, but I have detected four items that most metal detectors would have thrown away... or just thrown in their pile of MD junk. What may look like junk to you.. Is worth đź’° to others. 2 loaded cartridge, plus one hat pin, plus one pair of Pince-Ned glasses. All of which were in shi##y condition. It put $325.00 into my pocket...! My friend who has been detecting for 13 years has told me he is thrown away at least 100 loaded cartridges...!!! I'm a serious cartridge collector, so this just upsets the hell out of me...! But now he knows better. It sure would be nice if this forum had people who listed their "Special. Knowledge" The forum administrators and programers could just add an extra icon at the top of the page where people could list their specialties of certain items. Just food for thought..! Sounds like a killer idea to me.

If special knowledge of items could be confirmed with the submission of a training document or any other documentary proof of “expertise” then I for one would be on board with that. Everyone has some knowledge of things unknown to others but again some are arm chair quarterbacks too!

I keep a lot of things I find including old cartridges. My favorite one is a rimfire casing that ha an H stamped on it.

I've only been detecting 13 months, but I have detected four items that most metal detectors would have thrown away... or just thrown in their pile of MD junk. What may look like junk to you.. Is worth đź’° to others. 2 loaded cartridge, plus one hat pin, plus one pair of Pince-Ned glasses. All of which were in shi##y condition. It put $325.00 into my pocket...! My friend who has been detecting for 13 years has told me he is thrown away at least 100 loaded cartridges...!!! I'm a serious cartridge collector, so this just upsets the hell out of me...! But now he knows better. It sure would be nice if this forum had people who listed their "Special. Knowledge" The forum administrators and programers could just add an extra icon at the top of the page where people could list their specialties of certain items. Just food for thought..! Sounds like a killer idea to me.
Fastdraw ,
First things first - congratulations on your score! WTG

I have one or two cartridges and never knew there were collectors for them.
Please tell us where to look for them?
Tony

If special knowledge of items could be confirmed with the submission of a training document or any other documentary proof of “expertise” then I for one would be on board with that. Everyone has some knowledge of things unknown to others but again some are arm chair quarterbacks too!
Careful now I represent that LOL :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Well I was just saying........🤪
Old cartridges can often be found anywhere. Old farmsteads, edges of cities where expansion has occurred, meadows in the forests or on the edges, I’ve even found one rifle cartridge on the athletic field I hunt. Farm areas tho can be fun because the old shotgun case-heads are more prevalent than rifle or pistol. I have found case heads dating back to the 20-30s here on my own five acres on cities edge! There are several web sites covering collectors......

sorry, meant to post that above but hit post instead......

Well I was just saying........🤪
Old cartridges can often be found anywhere. Old farmsteads, edges of cities where expansion has occurred, meadows in the forests or on the edges, I’ve even found one rifle cartridge on the athletic field I hunt. Farm areas tho can be fun because the old shotgun case-heads are more prevalent than rifle or pistol. I have found case heads dating back to the 20-30s here on my own five acres on cities edge! There are several web sites covering collectors......
Ronstar, I find them at Flag poll sites - in the 50's and 60's I remember them doing 21 gun riffle salutes to honor the Veterans
Tony

Strange you brought this now. I looked around my counter tops and catch-alls around my house and it is riddled with old junk finds. Embarrassing. I don't believe I ever threw any thing of real value, keep it if you or someone you know does handicraft for curio shops. All junk counts then..

Fastdraw ,
First things first - congratulations on your score! WTG

I have one or two cartridges and never knew there were collectors for them.
Please tell us where to look for them?
Tony
Finding "Collectable Cartridges" can be found everywhere.... as Ronstar stated. Here is a few pointers about the cartridges you find.

1. Fired rifle & pistol & shotgun cartridges are worthless. (Except for fired SOLID BRASS Shotgun cases)
2. The cartridge must be intact. (Loaded)
3. Just like coins.... condition is everything
4. Just like coins... Don't polish them. They can be safely cleaned with Acetone and a cotton ball and not destroy their value.

Value can range from $5.00 too $5000.00 but most fall in $50.00 range or less.

I can accurately date a sight I'm detecting when I find a fired cartridge case,... which helps a little. I was a contributing editor to
a publication called "Cartridges of the World" years ago. and have been collecting cartridges for 40-years.

So..... don't throw them away. You might get lucky..?

Fact! Now...Were some of the 1866 Winchesters 44 Henry rimfire? I can't remeber..The only Winchesters I have are a couple of Model 12s

All of the original model 1866 Winchester were chambered in 44 Henry rimfire. But something tells me you already knew that. You have two models 12. I wish I had one. But this is not a gun forum... I was just trying to let people know that if you find an old intact cartridge don't throw it away. It's just like finding an old coin

Last edited:
Detectorist's