Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Don't tell me you would roll these and ship them out:thumbdown:

Just wondering what others do with pennies like these. I've heard that some people roll them and let the buyer suffer. :nono:..not for me.

...the Mint uses a standard of 2/5 for determining if a coin or bill retains enough integrity to be called original - and thus redeemable. That is, if it retains 2/5, or 40% of it's original properties, then it is good enough for redemption. You have 5-6 cents there that would easily qualify, by that standard. The rest of the mangy things can go in the junk box.

But therin lies the beauty...you are free to operate under any standard you choose. Regardless, now you know why we call them "Sinkin Zincers," or SZ's for short.

I have a big container of those things. I was at a park to day and I was thinking about what to do with them.:nerd: Maybe I could melt them down and make an anchor for my canoe. That wouldn't work, the zinc fumes would kill me.:thumbdown: Make jewelery out of them.:crazy: How about a fishing lure. :wacko: I could make a gun that shoots them, but I would be finding them again MDing.:detecting:

..really crummy nickels, dimes, quarters, loonies, toonies I save for parking meters. What a scam those things are. Don't know how many times I've been ripped off (put the money in and get no time). I gotta deal with that BS.. they can deal with my awfull coins. ..Willy.

I roll them up and take them to the bank. Any money that is more than 51% whole is legal tender. Money is money in my book.

I keep a few in my pouch while detecting in case someone wants to know how I'm doing, I can show them my "finds" by bringing out the crap coins.

........until I have a huge pile, then sending them back to the mint for a refund. I will probably take a loss over all, but just to get a cheque made out to me is worth it. :lol:

[quote John-Edmonton]........until I have a huge pile, then sending them back to the mint for a refund. I will probably take a loss over all, but just to get a cheque made out to me is worth it. :lol:[/quote]

I'm thinking that any bank (not credit union) could take them and cash them for you. Might not get the check but still get your money.:spin:

...banks dont normally accept such coin or badly chewed up bills, either. Theyre pretty rigid, them bankers, and they dont like no funny money.
But the Mint is actually obligated to redeem them if they meet the criteria. Remember the "Silver Certificate?" It actually stated that it was worth it's face value in honest silver and the federal reserve was bound to redeem it for that. Probably why they didint last!
John may be on to something, but I like the idea of keeping them in my trash pouch - the "Ouch Pouch," I call it. When anyone sees the stuff I keep in there, they leave me alone pretty quick and I dont see them next week competing with me, lured by the "riches" I find.

The silver certificates were around a lot longer than this funny money they dish out now that is backed by nothing and they can print as much as they want. If we were still on the gold and silver standard this country would be in much better shape.

Bill

[quote DavHut When anyone sees the stuff I keep in there, they leave me alone pretty quick and I don't see them next week competing with me, lured by the "riches" I find.[/quote]
Sounds like me. "Hey, you find any treasures?", "Nah, just some loose change". Then I can't wait to get home, get out the loupe and check out my treasures:angel: