Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Dont take no Double-Damn-Dares

Jbird

I was temporarily living south of Deming, NM, at an RV Park known as LOW-HI Ranch. The LOW stood for LONERS ON WHEELS, a singles organization. You have to be single and living the RV lifestyle to be a member. I was a member. Most everyone at the Park were members but occassionally some married folks would stop in and visit with us for a few days.

One day a large expensive RV pulled into the park. On the back of the rig mounted to the rear bumper was a heavy duty rack designed to haul a very large heavy motorcycle. It seemed funny to us that the bike strapped to that rack was an old and small Honda Trail 90. The rig belonged to a married couple in their mid 40's.

The rigs owner, call him Bill :), said he had to sell his big Honda Goldwing because of health reasons and just didnt feel right without some kind of cycle so had bought the little Trail 90. I had the only other motorcycle in the park, a Yamaha TW200, parked by my rig so he and I got to talking motorcycles. It turns out that he had ridden dirt cycles professionally in his younger days and also participated in the more difficult cross country rides untill his health prevented it. He explained that the main artery from his heart to all of his lower body had been replaced and also some of the artery's in both legs. The result was that he could not stand long without bad pains in his legs and could no longer stand to make long trips on the big Honda Goldwing that he and his wife had enjoyed so much. All he had left of a former lifestyle was a little Trail 90 to play with. You could see the longing in his eyes and hear it in his voice as he told us of his former cycling experiences.

LOW-HI Ranch sits on a 20 acre site. Ten acres were flat and reserved for park purposes, the other 10 acres had been, and still was, a gravel pit. That gravel pit was my playground. Me and my TW200 would get down in that pit doing whing-dings and whoop-e-do's over the huge old piles of sand and the dug out areas. It wasnt too bad for this old 68 year old guy with a bad lower back to handle cause most of the falls I had were in the sandpiles. Its not that Im reckless cause Im not. Most of the chances I take are pretty well calcalated with good chance of success.

My new friend Bill was impressed with my gravel pit playground and his moto-cross eyes immediately setteled on the deepest hole in that gravel pit. That thing was about 30 feet deep with sides allmost vertical on three sides. "You can climb out of that cant you?" "Not me", I replied. He insisted I could and I insisted there was no way. He got all exited, kept looking at the sides of that hole in the ground and insisted that my TW200 would make childs play out climbing those dirt walls. Maybe so, I told him, but not with me on it. He went beserk, yelling that, hell, he could climb out of that little old pit on his Trail 90. When I tried to smooth things out he got madder and said he would go get his bike and just show me. There were some people standing around watching and listening and now a small crowd began to form.

Bill ran the little Trail 90 down into that hole and circled it around and around the flat bottom of it to gain as much speed as he could, the little 90cc engine sounding like a mad bumblebee. Then he threw it at one wall of the pit. I would have bet good money, big money that he could not do it.....but he did. He almost lost it at the top lip of pit but managed to throw the bike forward and clear the pit.

Bill rode over to where I stood and said now it was my turn. I didnt wont to do it. Actually, I was scared stiff. My good buddies in the crowd were egging me on, most of them knowing I didnt have the guts to do it. My good friend and traveling companion was smiling at me and nodding yes. Crazy damn woman!!! Then Bill got right up in my face and sneered, "I double-damn-dare you." Now I had not heard that double damn dare you stuff since I was a kid, like some fifty some odd years ago. I was really shamed that a crippled up guy like him would have to dare me.

So I fired up the TW. Someone in the crowd was yelling encouragement while some one else was mumbling something about a crazy old ba#tard. Bill was yelling for me to circle the bottom for speed, to use second gear in the TW and aim to clear the top about 6 or 7 feet to the right of where he did cause there wasnt any lip there.

I followed Bills directions to a T cause I was too scared to do any thinking on my own. Circled the pit in second gear with the engine sound screaming off the pit walls, aimed it at the designated spot on the wall and let it rip. Nothing to it. The TW leaped up the wall with power to spare and I shoved the front whell over at the top and......was looking at a barbed wire fence. Now I had known that damned fence was there but under all the pressure had forgotten it and Bill didnt think of it when he advised me to exit to the right of where he did. I had to lay me and cycle down. The TW ended up under the fence but I didnt make it that far. Seems like the goat heads had slowed me down. The clothes on my left leg, my butt, my back and my left arm were pinned to my aching and skint body by about a thousand goatheads. There aint no stickers as murderous as goatheads stickers. All jokes aside, I was seriously punctured and skint up by goatheads.

My friend was still picking out goathead stickers hours later when I told her, "You giggle or snicker one more time and Im a-gonna backhand you." Knowing I was lying she busted out laughing...again....showing no respect for the wounded.

like you have been to some pretty good RV places. If it makes you feel better, I would take stickers in me a lot better than I can respect a bad "road rash"! That hurts! I could see you going round and round, like the riders at the carnivals! Be careful! :)

feel a certain kinship with you:biggrin:
Trashed myself a time or trying to throw the front wheel over the lip, or looping it!
One time i had a Yamaha 360MX and tried a hill in the pit that few had ever made. I spun out just under the lip, front wheel over and digging in a bit then stalling. Somehow i held on despite the 25 degree angle and kicked the bike back to life, goosing it in an attempt to claw over. That is when i found out that on rare occasions a two stroke can run backwards and i found myself 50 feet down the hill under the dang bike with exhaust pipe burning my leg.
For weeks some folk said i was nuts when i insisted that the bike had shot backwards, then one day a darn good bike mechanic at the dealership heard about my adventure and said that it was rare but did happen.
I'm still not sure if it was me or the bike:blink:

Enjoyed the story as it brought back a ton of memories, thanks!
Wayne

I had a beta Alp... a marvelous bike that was much better than I was. I was out with some firnd and this buddy on a zero went up a 7 foot vertical wall. He challenger me to do the same. However, unlike you, I chicken out and took the safe route.

Ah well, at least I had no broken bones to mull over :)

good story

fair winds

M

You crazy ole nut ! That had to hurt. Body and ego. At least your little sweetie was filled with compassion......well........let's pretend she was !:lol: Great story Jbird....you're always a fun read !

You can get in enough trouble on a cycle just trying to go forward in them.....it must have come as a shock when you goosed the engine and shot backward:ranting:

....always amazed me and what an experienced rider could do with them. If you google up the Yamaha TW200 you will see that it is a sort of cross-bred thing. Tires a little wider.....maybe about twice as wide....as a regular dirt bike. It was great for just put-puting up those sandy old draws and back trails but would still do 55mph on the highway. It was geared very low and would climb anything its tires could grip. It weighed 260lbs and its suspension system wouldnt allow you to do all the things a full fledged dirt bike could do but was just perfect for my purposes. I could leave my RV rig parked and do everything on the TW, including hauling my groceries. I could ride the highway till I got to the backcountry sites I wonted to explore and metal detect and then ride it home. It was a nice little pony.

I enjoyed this story...caught myself reading faster and faster to find out what happened. I have been caught in "I double dog dare you" situations while riding a horse that could have gotten me hurt bad, but it is difficult to say the simple word "no" in front of your peers. As bad as you ended up, it would have been worst if you had got tangled in that barbed wire too! Thanks for sharing this exciting story. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Folks from back east and from less thorny climates used to pull into that park, unload their ten speed bikes and immediately have two flat tires. We would worn them but they couldnt believe that a little old sticker burr was hard enough and had long enough stickers to flatten bicycle tires. I had to have special 1/8th thick inner tubes put in my friends bicycle tires so she could ride it. Some of us guys chipped in and bought some flame thrower type weed burners and propane tanks. We were really proud of ourselfs and all the girls were proud of us too as we swaggered all around that place burning goat heads. All that done was just harden the goatheads even more, making them more indestructive, and the very next rain caused the goatheads to start growing again.

all you described and more for sure. Up here they called them "BW" as in Big Wheel. I used to sell them back in then 80's when i had a small interest in a Yamaha dealership.
Yamaha also brought out a Quad around about 1986/7 that had a power takeoff for a mower/cultivator, unlocking differential and turf tires, they never took off but i thought they would be great for all around use.

goat heads were,good story jbird.don't know if they changed the configurations on those trail 90's,but in the early 70's a guy down the street had one,and it was a step through,like a girls bicycle,is that the same way bill's was?

:wiggle:Yeah, they quit making them many years ago and Bill had bought his used from some old guy that had had it stored in his garage for years. If I had not seen him climb that wall on that little bike with my own eyeballs I would never have believed it. Check out the "Big" scooters now!! Full fledged full sized step through cycles up to 650cc, fully faired in, auto-transmissions. I had a Suzuki Bergman 400 but sold it last year, just wasnt riding it enough. Im down now to a little 50cc Yamaha scooter. Ive got a six mile loop of curvy and up and down roads behind my house that makes for fun riding even on a little shetland pony sized scooter. Some of the best and most popular motorcycle roads in Texas are just south of where I live. At Medina, Texas, 17 miles south of my house has a restaurant with a hitching rail out front marked for Harley Hawgs. Cycle riders park there and sit on the restaurant front porch and talk cycles. The road from my house to Medina is a twisty, curvy, little mountain road. One of the highlights of my life recently was to crawl on my trusty little 50cc steed (top speed 40mph on a flat stretch) on a weekend when the roads are filled with cyclists and go blasting down to Medina. I was hanging right in there with them on the curves but they lost me on the straight-a-ways. They were all friendly and waved but my big moment was to pull up and park at that Harley Hawg hitching rail. Some of them old Harley boys aint got no sense of humor.:lol:

I was ridin with ya JB, good story!

Dave

when there's not a lot of traffic.the reason i remember that ol' trail 90 is,is because he had a racing number plate on the front,why i don't know,but he did a wheelie one time,let it get away from him,and when it came down it hit me on the back of the neck,ouch:).

That was funny!! You got a great way of writing that just brings a feller along with you!!:clap: