Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

DON'T GOOF WITH YOUR DETECTOR JUST PROTECT IT

Tejonman

Do not make modifications to your detector not unless you do not care about losing it!.Like me i thought i would be smart and cover speaker hole with tape to keep dirt out until a very smart treasure hunter Sapper said don't do it,it can damage your speaker over time,and i thought about it and why.Well if you have tape over the speaker hole and the sound waves can not escape what will happen,bounce back and crack speaker,and if you ever want to trade or sell detector you now have to deal with sticky substance around speaker hole,don't do it,it isn't worth it, just protect your detector the best you can, get a rain cover if it will help but these are even annoying because it is harder to adjust the detector controls while hunting.The only thing i have done to the Vaquero now is put a small piece of tape around were the first pole goes into detector section to make it fit tighter so while hunting the rod does not have play and squeak while sweeping coil, has anyone else had this problem with the top first pole not having a tight fit on Tesoro detectors? the slight movement of rod assembly is kind of annoying right? well the little piece (very little) of duct or electrical tape fixed that problem great, but that is as far as i am taking my modifications right now.You really have to respect Tesoros life time warranty and don't goof with your detector! Charles.

mascard1 said:
My tejon wiggles a little there.....bugs the cra....p out of me!!!!
Mascard1 what up! The problem is the top pole were it goes into the detector housing rod,notice how it is made smaller on end that fits the detector shaft,this section is a little lose,even my Eldorado in 2001 had the same wiggle problem.Take a very small piece,think about it,it will not take much to make a tight fit,don't go crazy or you will never get pole in to lock,just a very small trimmed piece will do,electrical tape works good to.And there you have it a tight fit with no wiggles,smooth and fast! :tesoro:Charles.

Ju got that right keep that detector in as good of shape as you can , it will really effect the resale , unless you plan on keeping it

Tejonman said:
has anyone else had this problem with the top first pole not having a tight fit on Tesoro detectors?

long time drama plenty a posts on the subject best cure Ive found is Teflon tape ...no sticking ..no mess .... no more creeks...no worries

Tejonman said:
Like me i thought i would be smart and cover speaker hole with tape to keep dirt out until a very smart treasure hunter Sapper said don't do it,it can damage your speaker over time,and i thought about it and why.Well if you have tape over the speaker hole and the sound waves can not escape what will happen,bounce back and crack speaker...Charles.

You can tape it without that worry by leaving one speaker slit open. The speaker will not be totally protected from the environment, but it helps. The same can be done for the multi-hole type of speaker cover, like on the Lobo SuperTRAQ, by leaving one or two holes open.

Guys,

The Speakers Tesoro and many other manufacturers are using today are clear coned waterproof drivers. To verify your detector has this, just look for a translucent cone. They can be completely submerged and undamaged. If you want to keep water out of the case, open it up and place a small bead of clear silicone around the perimiter of the speaker where it meets the plastic. They won't voide your warranty for this. They use silicone to hold it in place, but it's only in a couple of spots. Finish the seal job off and your golden. If you get a build up of dirt in the grill area and the speaker starts to buzz because of it, put your mouth up to the grill, close your eyes and blow into it until all the crap comes out of the area. Even a can of compressed air for computer keyboard cleaning will do and won't damage a thing. If you don't have a waterproof driver, you can replace your paper cone driver with opne, they are available all over the place online. very common speakers used in shower radios, etc.

For the record the backpressure destroying the cone rumor is inaccurate. The tape creates a small membrane and still allows coupling with the driver. There will be no damage because of this. However that said, given the advice above, you don't need to seal your speakers up with tape. Just follow the advice and enjoy. You can consider the advice gospel given my background.

- Matt

Isn't it amazing how a little annoyance is really a big one?
I've had to shim a layer of tape on a couple detectors in the past to fix the rod tightness. It just doesn't feel right when you stop on the swing and the coil feels like it continues to flop a ways then hit the end of the flop travel. Back & forth, back & forth :rage:

Just for the re cord, it was Adrian SS who said that taping a speaker can affect it...I confessed my sin of taping my speaker sometimes at the beach. That said, because I always use headphones, I have no need to listen to the speaker and the tape would not ruin it in any event. I can understnad your confusion Tejonman, because at the time that post was made there were replies coming in from all over the place, some helpful and some not. All the best, Sapper.

trueblue said:
Tejonman said:
has anyone else had this problem with the top first pole not having a tight fit on Tesoro detectors?

long time drama plenty a posts on the subject best cure Ive found is Teflon tape ...no sticking ..no mess .... no more creeks...no worries

That works well, the electrical tape always leaves that glue reisidue when you remove it.

Neil