Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

DON'T Go in the water ! ! ! :confused:

Grumpyolddiver

WELL........... I Really like the way this detector can separate gold from the iron. But.......... If the battery compartment leaks after less than 20 minutes what's the use in taking it anywhere near the water. Minelab stepped up and gave me a new detector.( Thank You Minelab)And after less than an hour this one has drowned the battery again. !!!! I have a call in to Brian at Minelab and am waiting for a call back.At this point I am real glad I didn't sell My E-trac. Has anyone else had water problems besides me???? And yes the o-ring was properly in place both times.The battery never got more than 16 inch's below the surface of the water at any point either. So now I have a great water machine that can't go near the water &^%^*(%##@%&. REALLY Grumpy Now , Doug

Is only the battery being damaged or the box? You don't have a bad pair of leak proof headphones do you? Funny noone else has posted with leaks.

Doug,
I have had the CTX since day 1 and have hunted 90 percent in fresh water lakes chest to neck deep. I had this issue occur 1 time I found that removing the red o-ring rinsing it and taking a toothbrush and cleaning out the groove it sits in of any sand and debris prevents this. So now right before I leave the house, I pop off the battery and run a toothbrush around and triple check the o-ring is seated and no issues. I used some rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush to clean up my battery contacts. I have spent well over 150 hours in the water and this fixed the issue for me. I hope this helps.

Matt

This is the wrong forum for "mine is better than yours", take those posts to the Metal detecting forum or Views. Any such posts will be deleted. You guys are also off topic.

Doug,

What Matt describes doing is similar to the routine I've followed with a couple of Fisher CZ-20's I own, as well as a Tesoro Shark I had. In addition I would wipe down the gaskets and inspect them closely for cuts or permanent indentations. As the unit ages I would also observe the springy-ness and flexibility of the gasket to check for ozone attack.

HH
BB

Grumpy, when the first machine got water in it, had you been in the water very much? I've only had mine in the water 3-4 times, so far so good.....as far as leaks go....(no gold or silver rings yet)....I'm taking it out again in the morning.......I hope all goes well....I've checked and rechecked everything, and the seal looks good as well as the different connections....I hope things stay dry............Good luck with the resolution to the problem....HH

Hey C&R Hunter The thing is the first detector lasted about 20 minutes then quit .And on inspection of the o-ring we (The dealer and I)could find no tears indentations or sand.Next I used it for about three hours with no problems(with the dealer in the lake with me). Then went back to my dealers shop for some help getting the bins setup correctly.We did have the battery off and back on with nothing to indicate any problems.The next day I used it for about an hour in chest to neck deep water.There were no problems at that time so when I got home I rinsed it off and put it away.Four days later I thought I might want to charge it before going to a club hunt and that's when I found the problem.I have been a diver for thirty plus years and have Never have an issue like this.It seems as thought a thorough cleaning after every use is going to have to be SOP from now on.If you want a really sick feeling,..... just don't worry about that o-ring.(just kidding) If I am allowed an opinion its that The o-ring on the CTX is way under sized and needs some work on it.And regardless of what some may think I AM Not the Only one to have this problem.And Truth to tell I am almost afraid to take it anywhere near the water Again. Doug

I've been in fresh water with mine several times without a problem but the battery has never been more than a foot or so underwater. I'm thinking of using some snorkel equipment to make water hunting easier but haven't tried it yet. I guess with the pressure of being a few feet deeper the problem might appear.

It seems Minelab could solve such a problem by sending everyone a larger rubber gasket if the problem were wide spread. I would be interested in what Brian says about how common this problem has been with those taking the detector into the water. Plenty of underwater GG headphones have been sold so I'm sure there are many who have taken their CTX underwater.

I have been in the water for five hours yesterday and after reading these post i had to check if everything is ok with my ctx. I removed the battery and saw some water and a little bit of green stuff around the connector (not as much as on Doug picture) my heart skipped a beat! Will it be ok if i clean the connector??? Is my battery still good or do i have to change it???

[attachment 240039 batterywarnings......jpg] [attachment 240040 detectorwarning.jpg]

I did a demonstration at the Fish Hatchery... I took off the wireless module, put the plug in a let it go in the 4ft pool and talked to the Hatchery manager.. I could tell he was nervous and kept asking you sure its ok... we downloaded a truck and checked it. it was still on and working. after almost 40 mins..... Its not salt water but fresh... No issue here.. hunted at the lake for a few hours about a month ago kept it underwater for several minutes seeing If i could still see the screen.. Still no issues.. washed it down both times .in the tub..:blush: wife is still shaking her head about that..... and wiped the contacts down and cleaned the oring with dawn soap and water...

Doug,

I hope you did not think my post was anything other than a helpful suggestion. I did have your issue so I found that helped in my case. I was also just saying I spend alot of time in the water with my detector underwater just so you knew I was not someone who on a super rare occasion gets in the water. As for alcohol on the connectors this is perfectly safe as I build and service computers and it is how I clean all electronic conductors and contacts. I do agree minelab should adress the issue in some manner so this does not continue to happen.

Matt

Hi Matt Nope your post was fine but there were a couple that I felt were unjust.(everyone has there own opinions)But when you open up a very good piece of equipment that you were trying to be careful with anyway and see that .Well It don't make ya feel real well.I know they try to make these detectors idiot proof but sometimes even the best intentions don't work for me. :bouncy: Still playing phone tag with Brian but hope to get with him today. Set right this detector will find gold like no other I have used.(and no I have not used them all) I have at least three gold rings that were found because they were in place's that were loaded with iron and my excal would just go bonkers.I always appreciate the help I get here but sometimes even my skin aint thick enough for some of the uncalled for jabs. A big Thanks to Randy,Larry and the Guvner for keeping this forum civil. Doug

Be sure to keep us up to date on what Brian tells you. Curious to see what the remedy is.

C&RHunter said:
Grumpy, when the first machine got water in it, had you been in the water very much? I've only had mine in the water 3-4 times, so far so good.....as far as leaks go....(no gold or silver rings yet)....I'm taking it out again in the morning.......I hope all goes well....I've checked and rechecked everything, and the seal looks good as well as the different connections....I hope things stay dry............Good luck with the resolution to the problem....HH

I had the CTX in a fresh water lake for 2 hours this morning, with about 1-1/2 hours up to my shoulders. I left everything intact and washed the sand off, after arriving home.....Instead of pulling the battery right then, I decided to wait until the machine dried off. Well guess what. I just pulled the battery out about 10 minutes ago. There was some water drops inside and the green corrosion had started. It was still kind of a goo, so I used q-tips and an unused tooth brush to clean all the green stuff off the contacts and out of the crevasses, and wiped out any moisture. I wonder if a seal could be made to go just around the electrical connection area, in addition to the red seal? I will call my Dealer tomorrow and talk with him before calling Minelab........And to make things worse, I just recovered some clad change and a junk ring during my hunt.....Not a good day.......

This is just a idea that may help, on the rubber gasket try a little vasoline, it works on pool pumps to get a water tight seal.