Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Does excalibur II have trouble with Canadian coins

BCJohn

Hi I am in Canada on the west coast around Vancouver area thinking of getting a excalibur II 800, someone said that the excalibur has trouble with Canadian coins is anyone aware of this problem.

Thanks John

Hi I have had the Excal only for about 30hrs hunting and found one Canadian cent it really acted crazy sounding, worse that a zn cent. But I was able to find it? steve

BC, yes and no some coins will respond and other make some odd sounds. They seems to give those odd sounds when in the ground but have noticed when you did them out some null..........

From what I have read the Sov. does not like modern Canadian coins since the are basically made of plated steel. Sov. are made to null out on iron and steel.
The Excalibur is based on circuitry similar to the Sov. that's why it's considered a waterproofed Sov.

Canadian coins are going to give mixed signals. It took several weeks of hunting a soccer field to figure out why I wasn't find many coins.
The signals I considered junk in the US were actually Canadian coins, different year periods gave different sounds, double blips, whooppy sounds,
one way sounds...etc. Once I decided to dig the junk sounds, I started finding coins. Went back over the areas I detected and came home with piles of them.
I learned the sounds of CA coins.....and still dug pulltabs etc. You need to also cut back on the disc. setting.

If your buying the Excalibur, I wouldn't be wasting my time on CA coinage, your going to be after gold and silver jewelry, old silver coins. You will get them in
Canada. You will have no problem picking up the Loonies and Toonies with any detector. They tend to be found almost as often as you would find a quarter in the US.
The Loonies and Toonies our best friend.......glad I moved North

PDF> version of below at:
http://bcscta.ca/resources/hebden/chem/Coin%20Compositions.pdf

=============================================================================================

COMPOSITION OF CANADIAN COINS
The following information, available from the Canadian Mint, is invaluable for teachers
wishing to make up a lab involving the analysis of currency. Thank you to Gordon Gore
for referring me to this web site.
Reference: http://www.mint.ca/en/collectors_corner/circulation
Value Years Mass (g) Composition
____ ______ _______ ____________________________

Hi Thanks everyone and Sven that is good information and I think you are right about not worrying about the coins and going after the gold and silver that would solve the problem. John

in another forum.
Looks like the following Minelabs are not recommended for hunting Canadian clad as they will null out:
Excal, Sov, Explorer , E-Trac

Sven said:
in another forum.
Looks like the following Minelabs are not recommended for hunting Canadian clad as they will null out:
Excal, Sov, Explorer , E-Trac

Great help for the older coins though, if it nulls its probably just new clad :thumbup:

Yes the Canadian coin often null out. But on a the beach, you can bring out those coins pretty easily. The size and sharpness of the null out, is different than a bottle cap or a bobby pin.
Often, it will be be a mix of nulls and tones just like a bottle cap, but those tone will old better.

A 15 grammes 18k ring sound better.

Yes, the Excal has problems with Canadian Clad unless it has rusted a bit, then you may pick up on some quarters, loonies & twoonies. I have owned 2 Excals in my time, they are awesome detectors for Gold & Silver & US coinage but have a tough time with our clad. If you want clad too, besides the Gold & Silver you will need to use a BHID 300, CZ-21, 1280, a Tesoro or a PI. Maybe there are other water detectors out there that will pick up our clad, I just have not used them. Good Luck

The Explorer and E-trac will find any Canadian coins because you can program them to find them. I have found many modern Canadian coins with my Explorer and E-trac with no problem at all. Not sure where you are coming from by saying that they cannot.

The Excalibur will find modern Canadian coins if you use all metal/pin point. The steel coins are nulled out with discrimination so you will be finding a lot of junk when in all metal but so what......you will also be finding more gold too by digging everything.

i have found canadian coins with my excalibur 2, cents,quarters,dimes..ive not noticed any problems...:detecting::clapping::minelab: