Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Does anyone search the land between the sidewalk and curb?

FatCat1

And if you do, do you need permission from the home owner, or is this considered public property? I'm thinking that some coins must have hit the pavement and bounced onto that little strip of land. I think the sidewalk is public..... maybe the land is too. It's hard for me to get permission because I look like a drug dealer.

I havent done it yet but im going to at least look
at the strip in front of my house...
Im not sure if its public or private but Id think
letting the homeowner know might be a good
idea anyway.. I like avoiding hassles when i can!!!!

THINK SPRING ( 7 days )

Ron
Rangers Lead The Way

I have been hunting that grass area for over 20 years. Found a ton of coins and a few rings. In most areas of the country, the City has right of way within 10' from the back side of the curb. Even though it actually belongs to the city it is up to the property owner to maintain that area. Hence homeowners could be upset with you hunting it. Most homeowners are unaware of the city right of way. However, There are numerous other curbside areas that you do not need permission (usually) to hunt. Parks, city streets (not in front of houses, downtown areas and around parking meters are just a few. The more you think along those lines the more places you will think of. I go back to the same sites every 6 months to a year and they are always reloaded. Hope this helps. HH JackinAustin

I hunt that area also and have done quite well there,:detecting:
The property line is usually up to the sidewalk with the area between the curb to the sidewalk being city property.

About the same thing is working the curb area around sports fields. People who are going back to their cars often dump out coins from their pockets when reaching for their car keys. Found lots of coins in that strip - from about 8 feet away to the curb.:twodetecting:

These are generally hotspots if they haven't been hit before and they ( Parkways ) are city property although some homeowners think otherwise since they mow and maintain them. If you run into one of those just move on to the next one.

Bill

Good to see you posting again. You're definitely better off with sidewalk strips than crack houses!:rofl:

From a legal standpoint, it depends on the town.

In many towns the city owns the street and the property up to and including the sidewalk. But in other areas where the town only has an easement or right of way for the sidewalk strips then they are technically the home owner's property.

Asking every person for permission to detect a city owned sidewalk strip is not a very time effective way to do it. And if you go up to doors soliciting permission, sooner or later you're going to get someone calling the cops on you because you're a stranger they don't know at their door and they're afraid. But if you see somebody watching you from their property, or coming or going while you're detecting, it makes good sense to engage them and make sure they don't have a problem with you doing it in front of their house. If you are polite and non-threatening you might even get the OK for the yard too. If they do have a problem with it, be polite and get out of Dodge. I'd suggest leaving the block and getting out of view of that person.

Detecting these strips during low traffic times makes a lot of sense to me, the first couple hours after sunrise on the weekends are ideal.

Regardless of who legally owns it, most homeowners think of that strip as their property. They mow it, they maintain it.

If someone calls a cop because they see you digging in front of their house, how do you think the officer is going to react? You can bet he (or she) is going to see you as being the problem, regardless of legality. That cop doesn't want to be bothered with stuff like this and he's going to think that if he lets you keep doing this other people are going to be complaining too.

Let's take it a step further. Suppose the complaining property owner contacts a city councilman, or the mayor. Or maybe he is the mayor. Next thing you know you've got a movement going to ban these guys who are "digging holes out in front of our yards". Sound far fetched? Maybe. But that's how ordinances are created, from complaints made by citizens.

I'm not arguing against searching sidewalk strips, but bring along a strong helping of common sense if you do.

Some nice finds have come out of those places. I don't ask permission where I live, as they belong to the city. However, if someone is spending a lot of time grooming the grass, I either skip it or just probe the targets with no diggers. If someone tells me t leave, I just move on quietly.

John-Edmonton said:
Some nice finds have come out of those places. I don't ask permission where I live, as they belong to the city. However, if someone is spending a lot of time grooming the grass, I either skip it or just probe the targets with no diggers. If someone tells me t leave, I just move on quietly.

Same here!:garrett:

You guys are great! This info has been most helpful to me.
Fatus

In my town, those areas are city Property and I have permission to hunt these areas. If a home owner comes out and starts to complain, just move to the next house. The Mayor told me that since I pay Municipal fee's It is considered all city residence property. I would suggest that to get in touch with City hall and ask them their concerns on this matter. Just my way of trying to help. HH...Jesse.

Yes those spots are city land were I live and have been quite good to me. It depends on my mood if I check them or not though, as I've had more than one old lady scream at me from her door way. Some people personalize that piece of city land and take it as their own personal space, 98% don't. It's the few Harpy's that stay in my mind though, yeesh!