Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Does anyone remember any of this? ......................

Kelley (Texas)

As a young boy, I remember much of this......... Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

http://oldfortyfives.com/TakeMeBackToTheFifties.htm

i think skyking was already re-runs when i watched it,i think they had another one called whirlybirds with helicopters.if i remember right the plots were always about them saving people or helping get bad guys:).75 dollars for a bike?man,that was high,but schwinns were always higher,i think my first new bike was about high 30 dollar mark,my second was about 45 dollars.

only rich kids folks could afford schwinn's.when i was about 13 i saw a kid in junior high wearing adidas tennis shoes,man i thought they were neat,made out of leather when most kids wore canvas tennis shoes.i asked him how much they coast and he said 13 dollars,i think my mom was paying about 3 dollars for my canvas ones,my heart sank when he told me that,there was no way my folks were going to pay that much.

heck,wingtips.penny loafers and other hard leather shoes only cost about 6 dollars a pair.his dad owned a dairy queen franchise and started his own type drive-in food place with about three more.

I was in Jr. High School (now called Middle School) when the 1957 Chevrolet came on the market. That was the first time that I was interested in a car instead of a pickup truck. I was a young boy and most of my focus was on horses and cows to a lessor degree...my Father's focus was on me hoeing weeds in the garden. :rofl: We had a used black and white TV, but we seldom watched it because we were usually outside in the fresh air doing some chores or off fishing and doing other fun outdoor things. By the time that I was twelve, I was heavy into riding horses and would hire out part time on some of the local ranches in the area...did fence work, loaded hay out of the field, but my favorite was riding back into the brush locating missing mamma cows and her calf.

I use to get into some funny mischief, well not funny at the time, that would cause my parents to really get angry with me at times. Two days before I graduated from high school in 1963, I was scratched up pretty bad from the brush while looking for a lost mama cow and calf. I was going all out trying to turn the mama cow in some heavy brush when the horse went down...I had some mean looking deep scratches on my face and arms. I must have bled a pint of blood by the time I go back to the barn. Mother was scared that I was really hurt bad, but after the scare wore off, she wanted about two inches of my hide because upon graduation, I looked like I had been run over by a truck...my face was swollen and scabs on my face and arms. Those were some good times in my life. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

my life. Much slower pace then, never heard of anyone being shot and drugs were heard of but never seen in these parts unless you went down to NY City. I remember the DA hair styles, side burns, Snap Jack shoes or engineer boots. Gas then was 14 cents a gallon here at Major oil. We would all chip in and ride around in someones car for the night cruising for girls to take to the local sock hop on Friday and Saturday nights in the summer time. Block dances were a big thing here then. Most of us cut lawns all summer for spending money, or caddied at the local golf course. Many of us were summer Bell Hops also at a big resort called the Hotel Griswold in Groton on the shoreline. It had been there since the rum runner days, big place. Its gone now, but some of the docks are still there, along with the outline of the pool. I remember seeing groups like Bill Haley and the Coments, Fats Dommino, Chubby Checker, The Platters, mostly the Do-wop groups then. Good memories from back then. I turned 16 in December of 56, got my drivers license, a job after school at the local department store, Orbits I think was the chain name and any odd jobs you could find for spending money. Didn't pay much back then, but we didn't need much either. Everyone had wants, but they were just that. For the most part if you took care of your needs, life was pretty simple. Yes sir No sir was still the required way to address and adult. I enjoyed the music then, still enjoy the old music. I still remember the big bands, like Dorsey, Mills Brothers etc....Rock and Roll came in around the mid 50's and we knew we were on to something. Thanks for the trip back in time. Geo-CT

I hope to do a little riding tomorrow, maybe take a few pictures of some small, out of the way town. If I would get off this computer and finish the chores around here, I may be able to take a short ride later this afternoon too. Temperatures are in the upper 70's and lower 80's with very little wind...perfect riding weather. Kelley (Texas) :)

but about the only time i watched t.v. was in the afternoons right after school or saturday mornings,every evening i was out running up and down the street,summer or winter..on weekends it was all over town,i can't remember one t.v. series i watched except leave it to beaver reruns in the afternoon.

if i stayed all night with my granddad i would watch gunsmoke and rasslin' with him.i think kids spend to much time cooped up.

it to the mid 50's and bikes came out of the barns and garages all over the place. By evening, most went home in a light rain. We sure want to ride, just not quite ready yet. I see a few days mid week next week forecasts for low 50's. That will work if its sunny. Most of the sand is off the roads now with all the rain we had the last 2 weeks. I'll sure be glad to see the warm weather.

I will have another riding partner this year it looks like. My daughter Heidi is coming home to Connecticut here. She will be discharged from the Air Force in June but has a lot of leave built up so may be here a lot sooner. She used to ride with me a lot but now has her own bike. We have a few women in our club that ride so she will have other women also to team up with. She was drag racing in Charleston, SC on her bike. She runs a 750cc rice rocket...fast sled for sure..... It looks like she is going to go back to UCONN and get her degree and then go back in. Meantime she did sign up for the Air Guard here in CT. 20K sign on bonus and more schooling.

She calls me daily to rase me about riding most of the winter. She has temps like you guys so she gets to ride a lot. I know we have a horse being shipped up here also. We will be glad to have her home again for sure. She has been gone since she was 18 when she joined the AF and she turned 25 today.

Be glad to see your pictures while riding. I hope to post some of Heidi and I also....

George-CT

I'd go back in a country minute, even if we were a bit naive back then. Too much knowledge isn't always a good thing as todays society has proven. Loved the post Fred and sure the heck miss the innocence. :thumbup:

The batteries are charged up for the camera, just need to fill the thermos with coffee and away I will go...freedom! You folks should soon have some warm weather and will be able to ride once again, bet you can not wait, right? It is still dark here now that we have switched over to the day light savings mode and I will have to wait until at least 8:00 AM before I crake the bike up because of the pipes...no sense of stirring up the neighborhood with the loud pipes. In the past, those pipes somehow set off a few car alarms as I drove past them so I try to ride by them slowly and with little noise. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I guess the pulse out of them is enough vibration to move the alarms if they are set that soft. I have the stage one pipes and if I just let it idle or don't get on it hard its find, but if I really get into it off the line it has a pretty loud bark. I like the low rumble sound but not the sharp crack of some of them. All a matter of taste in music.... Mornings here are still below freezing for the most part so after lunch on warm days you can get a few hours in. I saw a few the other day at the Local Harely Biker Bar but they were all gone before it got dark. Big difference with no sun on you. I'm still seeing overnight temps in the teens here for next week, low 40's in daylight. Spring seems to be finding it hard to get here this year, or I'm over excited about riding for the first time this year, I'm betting a little of both.

George