Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Does anyone have experience with the Automax Precision V4 pinpointer?

ancummings

I was debating whether or not to get a pinpointer, and I just found out that I could get an Automax Precision V4 Pinpointer for just $16.95 since i placed an order of over $350 on the KellyCo website. It is being sold on the site for $130 on the site, so I figured I can't go wrong for $16.95.

Is anyone familiar with this or does anyone have any experience with this pinpointer?

After reading reviews and complaints about the large size, I decided not to order this. I will save my money for a better quality pinpointer

Well, I picked it up and I really like it. Yes it is big, but in soft dirt I could push it into the ground and find my digs. I picked it up part of my package deal for $6.95. For the price who can beat it. I have used it for 3 years and no problems.

I recently picked up a Explorer SE and now I use the X-1 probe.. I miss using the auto max cause if I was near the object it would vibrate and I found it in no time.

I've been using the V.4 for a little over a month now. I picked it up on Amazon for about $80.
I originally set out to build my own, but the parts alone for a 15mm unshielded metal proximity switch, cable, battery pack and casing would have cost me about $80 anyway.

It does the job it's intended for. It's definitely helped me recover targets in a fraction of the time and find targets I would have otherwise given up on.

The only complaints I have is it's size and the touchy sensitivity knob. Anything over halfway will make it beep without touching metal.

I did learn a little trick with it today, being curious I started to take it apart and found that underneath the belt clip there is a hole with a deeply embedded phillips screw.
Turning this screw will modify the sensitivity settings. I made a small adjustment and now I can set it to ignore very small items if need be.

I also ordered the $15 Harbor Freight pinpointer. Once I receive it, I'll post my comparison tests.

I ordered the $15 Harbor Freight pinpointer too and it's on back order until July 17th. Must be getting popular. I also ordered the Tinytec Deluxe and it arrived in 3 days. Use it all the time now, it works great. The sensitivity wheel stays where you set it. Has an white led light to help see down in the hole and a red led along with tone alert. The tip is hard enough to probe in the dirt or tire grind. I find targets much faster now without the need to dig a large plug. Probably will cancel the Harbor Freight unit, no need for it now.

HH, twalton

One plus about the Automax is that it is a dual purpose pinpointer. It can be used for pinpointing metal targets and a personal protection device:biggrin:.

If you get it for the $16.95, and use it and decide you do not like it...used on the forums you can get at least $35 to $40! I had one sure it is big, bulky all that crap...but for $16.95, it is also gives a great response and can also be used in vibrate...for the cost it is worth it without a doubt!!!

I have used one for 2 1/2 years. Use the vibrate mode almost all of the time. Allows me carry on with my own business without drawing attention because of the beep beep. I found a long time ago that any sounds I produce seem to grab the little tykes and adults with lots of questions. I prefer to concentrate on what I am doing. Headphones and the vibrating automax lets me do this.

Thanks for the help guys. I Just got my new detector today, so I'm gonna try it out for a week, and if I feel the need for a pinpointer, I will order the automax one

Yeah that thing ss huge and bulky,not to mention they snap in half at the center of the probe.

i use a tinytec vibra probe now--has a bright led,real sturdy(can take some abuse),vibrate or audible alert,battery save mode,and the probe has a pointed end so its easily ran through soil and can be pushed into most soil types without damaging.

I orderd the Harbor Freight pinpointer about 10 days ago, Called customer service Wednesday to check on the delivery date and the clerk said it was on back order until July 17th. Decided to wait for it anyway, if it's any good I plan to give it to my nephew, we hunt together sometimes.

HH, twalton

thanks for all the info guys mine is coming in the mail here shortly I ordered it with the AT Pro adventure pack and the excited use it. again thanks for the info good stuff.

I use a HF. Works great. I changed out the button the first week I had it, apparently it is a weak point and I don't want to be in the field when it craps out. We get 20% off coupons in the paper all the time so they only cost about $13. I'm going to pick up another and make the wand longer. Length does matter.

I got an AutoMax with a package deal before. I actually love my Garrett ProPointer, so I decided to tear apart the AutoMax to see what I could do. I found out how to get twice the distance on it from a simple mod. Check out my pic I posted of mine and what I did.... very simple adjustment to the internal dial....