Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

does anybody use an ultrasonic cleaner

e-train

i was wondering if anybody on the forum uses one and how well do they work for coins and jewelry and if its worth buying an inexpensive one

Doesn't work well with coins. It's more for jewelry, where someone wants to get dirt out of grooves, behind stones, in facets, etc.... JMHO

I use one all the time, but not for copper, brass or bronze coins, especially if they are covered with a layer of oxidation. The action tends to pit the coins leaving ugly marks on them. I do use them for copper coins covered with just dirt, but only for about a minute, to loosen off the dirt. This leaves no scratches, as can be found using a toothbrush and soapy water. The ultrasonic machine works wery well with silver finds, like coins and jewelry. You have to use a proper mixture, and do all the silvers together, coppers together etc. or you will stain the silver. Rust can be quickly removed from rusted objects using vinegar.

Some jewelry containing soft gemstones such as pearls, emeralds, opals or amber should not be immersed in an ultrasonic machine. Some damage to them could result. Also, some jewelry which has parts glued-on could separate with an ultrasonic machine. Of course they could again be reattached with a proper adhesive.

You have to be careful using an ultra sonic machine. The variables are always solution vs. length of time immersed being used to clean the objects.

lol - last year I took the wife's and was going to give it a go. Since she didn't know:unsure: I kind of set it up in the garage where she don't go into often. Well I forgot about it, and next time I was it the garage for something else, it hit me. All was quiet. It was dead. I dumped it and put it back where I snagged it from. Few days later (whew, that was close), she told me it didn't work:rolleyes: I asked her "What did you do to it":biggrin: We still haven't got a replacement.:nono:

Inexpensive, no. You need around 50,000 vibrations per second which will heat the water up after a short time. Cheap can be 30,000 or even 20,000.
Most of the cheap ones have a timer selection switch, 30 secs, half a minute etc so you can't go off and leave something cleaning. Its a mixed blessing. Pay more and you get a proper timer.