Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

do you hunt for the love or the money

furchaser

for me its both , i trap also and love it but the money is nice , when you catch 100 + coon and get $ 18 ea thats great but with out the money i would still trap . i love to water hunt but in iowa not many beaches ,still looking for that first gold ring

Hi Furchaser; Good Luck on trhat first gold ring.Now you know why its called treasure HUNTING. Just a kidding; only play on analogies. Best Wishes PEACE:RONB :thumbup:

I love to hunt at the beach and I love to find gold. It's kind of important that I'm successful so that I can prove to my wife that my time and expenses are justified. So far, so good! HH!

the fun is in the finding. as soon as its in the pouch its gone, if you were to add up all your expenses it would not be a money making game under usual circumstances - you must enjoy the hobby for it to become successfull then it becomes an obsession to see the glint of gold in the scoop.

Well said barnacle, I find I am like a kid in a candy store when I hit the beach and am looking up and down the beach jumping from one foot to the other "Oh so much beach and so little time". :hot:
So do you think I am hooked?

Gerry

I like the idea of finding something that would have been lost forever... MD'ing rarely makes anyone rich but, a little extra fun and money never hurts anyones life.The other thing I love about it is that MD'ing happens in the most beautiful places, the beach, a nice park, historic areas, etc..Good luck on that first gold ring! It will happen eventually!

"the fun is in the finding. as soon as its in the pouch its gone"
I agree that the most fun part is seeing, or hearing or feeling that gold in the basket but for me the fun continues for some time, albeit to a lesser degree. I enjoy showing my finds to my hunting buddy and my family. I also like sharing stories of my finds with others like the people on this board. HH!

I got into detecting to escape the stresses of my job. Being in my own little world, hearing nothing but the soothing hum of a smooth threshold, surrounded by nothing but seagulls and dolphins fits that bill quite nicely. I went through a stage though, after about a year, when I thought I knew enough that my finds should have been better, especially compared to some of the pirates here. I tried to up my score by hitting every tide I possibly could, sometimes to the detriment of the rest of my life. I finally realized (with the help of my lovely bride) that I was letting this "escape" turn into something I didn't recognize as fun. Since then, I've gone detecting only when I'm in the mood and when the weather is good. I still try to time the tides, but even that is negotiable. As a result, I've recovered the sense of fun I started out with, and my good finds are much more appreciated.

Well I must be hunting for the love of it. Drove 97.6 miles round trip to the beach this morning for a nickle and a penny. Still enjoy the hobby and you just never know what will be there in the scoop. I always start out positive and remain that way some days better than others as the finds go but always a rewarding time just to walk along the beach and clear the head for the work week ahead.

Apollo

Hunt beaches long enough Furchaser you will find your first gold when you least expect it. I think I hunt for the love of it. I love hunting in the water.

I guess we all have our reasons and mine was to escape the business world and the fact it was killing me literally heart attack at 50. Now it is daily walk on beach with MD and no phone. Sometimes the importance of things get puts into light in ways we did not foresee them coming

i hunt for the fun of it,excersise and the thrill to see what i can find thats lost..:clapping::detecting::minelab:
and an excuse for a ride too...

Welcome to the forum briley59
No stress on this forum. !

Why in the world would you want to trap helpless little animals if you weren't getting $$ out of it???? I can't imagine trapping them for any amount of money much less for NOTHING.

Can you just imagine if metal detectors were just invented this year? I think we would be wading in coins and jewelry, you could just scoop your hand in the sand and get money,coins gold and silver, plus enough nails, wire, pull tabs. bottle caps etc. etc. If you think about it, if we were not out there detecting and digging all the trash, people would be sitting on mounds of bottle caps, pop cans,. pull tabs, nails and coins and jewelry. I think all of us deserve a pat on the back, don't you? Gene

I have always had this urge to look for stuff and eventually found out about metal detecting around 1975 and did it for a couple of years, gave it a rest and got back into it more seriously about 8 years ago. I like all kinds of detecting and own four detectors presently. My favorite type of detecting is at ocean beaches with my Excal, which I only get to do a couple of times a year because I live a long way from the ocean and I work way too many hours for a man 62 years of age. Happy hunting!

I think he was simply comparing the joys of metal detecting (solitude, peace, freedom) to the joys of trapping. I'll bet he doen't want to get into a PETA debate.