Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Do you consider a US "War" nickel a "silver coin"??

Parkit

I have an OCD thing about finding at least one silver coin annually with my ACE 250, and have met the challenge every year I've been detecting except for 2013 (don't know why that year stung me, just poor luck, or laziness I guess). This morning I found a '43-P War nickel (40-odd percent silver), and I want to "claim" it as a silver coin for 2016 so I can get that OCD (I wish they'd call it CDO, where the letters are in order LIKE THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO BE) monkey off my back early. Thoughts??? I mean about the nickel being a silver coin or not, you don't need to comment on my CDO.

Thanks

Several melt calculators I have used label the War Nickles as "silver War Nickles".

The Coin Collectors Guide for Beginners is quoted as:

"The seven denominations of US Silver Coins include three cent pieces, half dimes, dimes, twenty cent pieces, quarters, half dollars and dollars.

The wartime nickel of 1942 to 1945 could also be added to this list as a collectible silver coin considering that it was made of an alloy containing 35% silver."

I personally do not count coins or types found, except for silver dollars and gold coins (which I have yet to find one).
But I would say YES, the War Nickles are a "silver coin".

I don't count war nickels as silver coins in my yearly silver count. I don't know why I do this but I will say I sold four rolls of them when silver was approaching 50 bucks an ounce. It seems like I got over a dollar a coin, but my memory is fading.

All silver coins carry different amounts of silver. So.......i do refer to them as silver. FYI, a lot of dressings I use at work to to cover infected surgical wounds have silver embedded in them.

A silver coin is a silver coin. The amount of silver is secondary.

I know its around 35% silver ? but I call it a silver nickel
I would consider it a part of my silver finds