Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Do tesoros ....

petew

Pick up and read foil as a good targets? I've always wanted a v,the tejon seems hard to learn.I'm thinking about the v,something for coin and jewlery, I have another machine,actually 2 .Not tesoros though

yes, i find some balled up foil rings up real nice with the vaquero. galvanized washers with rust will sound so good and bury the disc knob also. stick with and learn that tejon. there is an online book titled "mastering the tesoro tejon and vaquero metal detectors" it is 10 dollars. read that, even a few times. it is very good. that will help also. even though i have never used a tejon, dont think you would find anything more with a vaquero than with it. good luck.

Foil discriminates out early but it has a real sweet , mellow tone on the Vaquero .

I have found a couple of small pieces of silver jewelry that I thought would be cool. So it can be a pain to dig but jewlery can fall in all ranges to include gold and silver so be careful what you want discriminated. The dual disc on your Tejon can help decide what you want to dig. Set your primary disc to catch everything above iron and the second above your coil and it'll help you decide whether you want to dig. I agree with jld66 and hang onto the Tejon and learn it and you'll be amazed what it can do.

Sorry guys if I wrote my opening statement wrong, I don't have a tejon, I meant they seem hard to understand the settings from what I've read,and seen on YouTube. I did own a Cibola, but I got rid of it in hopes of getting a vaquero with manual gb.

petew said:
Do Tesoro's pick up and read foil as a good targets?
Yes, as long as any detector's Discrimination level is low enough to accept a particular metal target, such as foil, they will. But "foil" is simply a vague reference to some forms of lower-conductive metal that can be found in an assortment of sizes and shapes, and that means a "foil" object can span quite a conductivity range. You can have a small piece of thin, flat foil torn from a wrapper, or a medium or larger piece of foil. It can be a thin sheet of foil, or it can be balled up and thus a bigger and more responsive target in many conditions.

US Coins are generally very consistent, due to the controlled size, metal alloy used, and round shape. As long as they are laying in a flat-to-the-coil orientation, you can get a very consistent audio and visual TID/VDI response from them. 'Foil', as pesky as it is, is more similar to gold jewelry in that it can come in a wide range of sizes, thicknesses, shapes, and even a variance in the alloy make-up. Therefore, it will span its own range of a lower conductivity spectrum, and usually will have very similar responses as gold jewelry.

Just like gold items being very small, such as ear ring studs or small gold pendants, thin to medium to larger and thicker gold chains, dinky baby's rings to a wide range of women's rings and on upo to the generally larger-size men's gold rings, foil will also span a broad range of conductivities. If you don't want it you can increase the Discrimination, thus also missing lower-conductive good jewelry and maybe even US nickel coins and older $1, $2½ and even $5 gold coins, if you crank it too high. Or, the better idea, is to just ignore sites that seem to have a lot of foil trash, or learn some of the subtle audio nuances of the detectors you use because you can kind-of second guess some foil.

petew said:
I've always wanted a v, the tejon seems hard to learn.
The Tejón is a little more complex for some to learn, but for me it really has old-thinking design with the Dual Discrimination like the ancient Fisher 1260X series. I prefer to keep things simple and functional, and while I did once own three Tejón's for evaluation and comparison, there were other Tesoro models that I preferred much more. The Vaquero is 'OK,' but it also has some drawbacks for practical hunting, at least as I look at it.

I do, however, encourage you to get a good Tesoro and a 6" Concentric coil.

petew said:
I'm thinking about the v, something for coin and jewlery, I have another machine, actually 2 . Not tesoros though.
Your Makro Racer and, I believe, Teknetics Euro-Tek Pro, have their plus points, especially the Makro Racer with the small 'OOR' search coil. But I suggest you shop for one of the Tesoro's that I personally prefer as 'favorites,' and those include the Bandido II, the Bandido II µMAX [size=small](pronounced microMAX)[/size], and you might want a Silver Sabre µMAX for a turn-on-and-go detector [size=small](preset GB)[/size] or the Eldorado in the [size=small]micro[/size]-housing, if you would like the have the ED-180/zero-Disc. adjustment capability.

Use their stock coils for open areas w/sparse targets, but mount a 6" concentric on any of them and you will have a very handy detector for hunting many places that might hold gold jewelry and other lost desirables.

Monte

Thanks Monte for all that info,I'm just not sure about one thing. What drawback were you referring to on the v for practical hunting?I ask because the v is the machine I've been looking at.

I myself have the eldorado micromax, Bandido 2 micromax and Vaquero. The tones of the Eldorado and Bandido 2 are more pleasant than the Vaquero in my opinion. The Vaquero is deeper than they are but being able to switch to all metal on the eldorado and bandido 2 while still keeping the disc set are two features the Vaquero lacks. The Vaquero will find lots of treasure and I wouldn't be without one either.