Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Dixie metal detector Sovereign Mod

Minermangold

Has anyone done this $ 85 dollar mod to theirs ( apparently All sovereigns can be done) they also sell New Gt with this already done.
I am thinking it may be some receive ( Gain) tweak . Stating up to 3" deeper with standard loop . And we all know sov is already a deep machine .

When I bought my XS2A-PRO the gentleman that owned it prior to me (he bought it new) said he had the DixieMods done to it (he included the receipt) and it increased the depth, changed the tones, and added the silent search (not sure on that one as I use the threshold to search, so not sure what exactly the silent search mod is supposed to do, or how to enable it?).

I do like the tones, although they sound the same to me as other peoples Sovs as far as I can tell :) So that leaves the depth mod....who knows?

yes interesting ... For silent search I just drop it below barely audible with threshold knob so I don't understand the addition of "silent search" function.
I do this if I pick some background hum when it is noticeable. Other wise I think setting threshold is dependant on user's preferance.I also have xs-2a with standard
Tone and tone id switch relocated at rear of control box. This was done from kellyco. I am sure tone adjustment can be done circuit board adjustment with potentiometer.
I do beach hunting mostly and use WOT coil , I am digging quarters at 15" so I think extra depth may not be necessary unless you like digging ....LOL
This a great coil for this and the results are amazing.

David performed this mod to my Elite about a year ago. The sounds are different and I understand that they are a bit more"stretched" in that there are more tones within the same detection range. Not to sure about it but I didn't notice a huge difference in my ability to identify based on tones. You will, however, need to relearn your tones but it isn't like starting over again. I caught on pretty fast. The new tones are higher.

The biggest benefit I can tell is that it doesn't seem to null as long on iron. This was the biggest benefit I noticed. Having "silent search" wasn't too important for me since I always liked a little threshold anyway.

If I had to do it over again I don't think I would get the mod. David does great work and was a pleasure to deal with. I've done business with him a couple times and hope to again in the future. For me, I just can't quantify the benefit of the mod. I've done well with my Elite since the mod but I can't say that the mod revolutionized my detector.

I recommend that you give David a call and talk it over with him. That's what I did. He's terrific on the phone and will answer your Sov mod questions in some detail - to include recreating sounds right there on the phone! He's great. Give him a call and see.

Just my opinion but I think that the best improvement with the Sov comes with developing an intimate understanding of and recognition of those tones. That's been my experience anyway.

Put the switch to all metal, adjust the threshold so you can barely hear it and flip the switch to Disc and the detector will go "silent". That's all there is to it and I love it! I did the mod to all of my Sovs before I bought my GT. This only works if the mod has been done and will not work on an older factory Sov, As for the rest of David's mod, well, I trust him and think he is probably the most knowledgeable Sovereign guy out there. I only beach hunt now and I love the quiet until there is something to work on. When I get a sound from my GT, I stop back up and slow down and put the coil right on the sand and move it real slow. If I can a slight repeat, I remove some sand and if the signal locks on and starts to climb, I dig. I have tried just everything out there and for me, I prefer the Sov over anything else. Minelab will really have to work hard to build a better beach machine! If they can, I will buy it!

i have a Sovereign XS2A Pro machine and mine has had a switch fitted so you can work in either silent search mode or not. in silent search mode the machine is defantly more user friendly.

in silent search mode, when your hunnting the only sound you will here is the tone of the target found nothing else.
in the normal setting with a threshold tone on the threshold often gives you pitch changing noses & nulling out witch can sound a bit confusing when your new to using the machine.

personally i think when using the silent search mode the target tone is better locked on to were the target is in the ground. since the Sovereign dosn't have a pinpoint option and i use a large coil. better locking on to a target save digging bigger holes.

silentsearchswitch.jpg

forgot to say how you switch to hunt in silent search on the machine.

1. make sure the silent search switch is set to off first.
2. Set the disc and notch controls to your desired settings.
3. Set to Discriminate mode.
4. Set the threshold control to a slight hum.
5. now switch the silent search switch to on and all should go silent.

I sent my XS2A in to him last week.
I dont care for silent search as I prefer to hear just a bit of threshold to tell me the detector is working and when it nulls out over something iron.
If the mod improves the depth as advertised, it will be worth the $85.
I have a test target in my back yard that I know how that detector responded to it.
Any gain in depth will be easy to notice.

Willee