Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

DIVING IN MARINAS OR PIERS....ANYONE?

[size=large]Out of curiosity (as is the wide-eyed nature of a water-hunting newbie), has anyone had any experience with diving in Marinas or Piers (fishing or otherwise)? What are the dangers? What may one find in such areasother than rusty hooks? I'd like to try it out down here in the land of marinas....but is it even worth it? Wouldn't there be WAY to much junk? Anyone?

Yep...I'm gonna like it here![/size] :thumbup:

I have dove in a few marinias at the request of a slip owner or the marina manager. It would be ABSOLUTELY dangerous in shallow water at a marina even with a dive flag. First the law is boaters have to stay 150' away from the dive flag and second moset boaters don't even know what one is.

Not worth the risk or the chances tht you would take. In Michigan if it is early in the season and the marina is closed I have played in one and have had great success.

Depends on whether you have experience or not. Do you dive I assume not or you would already know the hazards if thats the case it would be better to avoid piers. Dan

Where are you talking? Shallow marina's or deep ones. Here in Mi the water is around 5 - 6 feet around them. That is it.

[size=large]Yeah....thats about right. I'm not talking about a deep water harbour or port....just a local marina where the water may be a max depth of 10ft.[/size]

I was considering diving in one of Brisbanes large marina's. The problem in that, is the fact that the bull sharks make their home around such places. They are fed from boats,(accidently or not). The visibility is very limited, sometimes zero vis, although a bloke I know does this from time to time when called in, and has had great sucess in doing so, Rolex's etc. I'll probably try when I can afford a shark shield device, and dive with a buddy who can keep watch with a modified electric bullock prod. HH regards Nugget.:detecting:

Yes, they would more than likely be trashy, but if the visibility is good, then the finds could be ABSOLUTELY STAGGERING, DO IT!

[Hey nugget did you see last nights news about the kid fishing for sharks in the gold coast canals ,mate i am not that hungry , i was air conditioning the forensic labs in lismore and saw the pieces of one guy attacked by a shark off byron bay , this shark had ripped the aqualung bottle off the harness and had squashed the bottle some , having dived for over thirty years both commercially and sport diving this really opened my eyes ,so any trinkets found around these still waters you guys can have. terry ps come up this way around mooloolaba and dive the river should be some good stuff around all the yuppie yachts,

Hazards, junk in the water, glass, rusty metal, people drop everything overboard, how about them boat battery's that are leaking acid, also marinas that have electrical hookups may have a electrical leak into the water, that would be shocking, and what about them dead fish carcases on the bottom. need I say more. I speak from 12 years of police diving. I also have a finger I almost lost due to contaminated water getting into a cut, two surgeries, 3 days in hospital, 3 months of being attached to an IV bag 24 hours a day. Ill stay with the xcal in the bay or ocean.

Hi doingdadiggin, yes I saw the article on the GC canals, and thats only a little fella. I love to dive, I love to detect, However, I love my family too much to be eaten by a bull shark, whaler or other species. HH regards Nugget.:detecting:

Watch out for fishing hooks! A lot and I mean a lot of fisherman fish those pillings regularaly and break off just as much on those docks....just an FYI. As far as how productive??? IDK. Like and great idea it's either genius or crazy, you just need to try it out and see which. Just be careful