Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Dive Shop/ Museum Gloucester Massachusetts...

Ron J

Went snooping around another historic,but very active fishing town,located on Cape Ann, Gloucester Mass. Its located only 25 miles northeast of Beverly,and the tail end of Rte.128. Any further than this,you better be able to float.:D Visited the Gloucester Maritime Heritage Center, located next to U.S.Coast Guard Station Gloucester. It really doesn't look exciting,but if you like boats,or boat building or repair,this is it.Hands on ship repair. The first place you will visit on our little "snooping" is the "Dive Shop Museum". It isn't big,being in two rooms,or looking from the outside,but let me tell you,if you are a diver or not,like ocean related history,this little place is a GEM! The older fella in the door,is the owner,historian,dive expert,extrodinaire!! His name is Paul,and very likable right off the bat![attachment 50542 GloucesterMass063.jpg]My diving experience was limited to one Summer,35 yrs ago,but i can relate,especially viewing the equipment,and interest of the Sea,the area,and sunken vessels.Paul has about every type of Diving helmets,regulators,drysuits,wetsuits etc,and knows how to use them,and keeps them in working condition,as if he were to use them tomorrow.He started diving in 1953 or so. He has artifacts from the USS New Hampshire,(similar to the Constitution) He show me some spikes of various sizes,taken from her.They are Copper,and manufactured by PAUL REVERE! They also are stamped US in each one.Paul also had forks,part of a flintlock? and other goodies. Needless to say i was in awe,viewing and holding his little treasures.By the way,that silver helmet,was made from a water boiler tank,and YES it worked. The copper one on the left,he informed me,was too light,the curved glass gave blurry vision,and without enough weight it wanted to pop of your head.[attachment 50543 GloucesterMass069.jpg][attachment 50544 GloucesterMass070.jpg][attachment 50545 GloucesterMass075.jpg][attachment 50546 GloucesterMass071.jpg][attachment 50547 GloucesterMass076.jpg]

should write a book,about the history of hardhat and scuba diving. IF anything had been for sale, i would have purchased, his vintage Morse Navy Diving knife immediately! Another visit wouldn't hurt,just to hear some diving stories!!

up there where you live. What were the copper spikes made by Paul Revere used for? I remember seeing news clips with divers using equipment like the ones shown in your photos.

I am becoming of the opinion that if someone took a two weeks vacation to your area that there would be no way to even scratch the surface towards seeing everything. Thank you for posting another interesting "sea" story with photos...these are great stories! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

The stories that he must be able to tell......

I can truly relate.

Many thanks

Fair winds

M

Various sizes,like nails & screws. Here's a Bronze? spike i detected on a Gloucester beach a couple of yrs ago. Its about 6 inchs long,square, with a flat square head.[attachment 50594 spikeWingersheekbeach002.jpg][attachment 50595 spikeWingersheekbeach001.jpg]

n/t

were a tough breed. I understand that they had to spend much time as a line and pump tender before they could ever take a turn on bottom.

I have read where it was not all that uncommon for a diver to step off a ledge, into deep water and when the tender hauls the diver up his entire body is squershed up into the helmet because of the pressure. The reports I have read said that more than one tender decided to take up another profession after having to clean out one of those helmets. I am afraid they would be putting the dang helmet in the casket if the were waiting on me to scrape it clean :(

coffee cup,that some research diver,brought to him.Before it was brought to the bottom,200' ? the guy wrote "The Diving Musuem around the perimeter. It is the same basic shape,but shrunk down almost to the size of a thimble! he brought purposely to the depth,to give the museum an example to show what pressure can do. I should have taken a photo! Maybe next time.